How Do You Figure The Servings For A Tapered Cake?

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 12 Jun 2012 , 3:11am by kimbm04r

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 5

How do you guys figure your serving sizes for a tapered cake? It will not be a fully topsy turvy cake, but rather just tapered from larger on the top to smaller on the bottom on each tier. Do you use the diameter at the top of the layer, or at the bottom?

I am trying to figure out what sizes I should use to make sure we have enough cake.

TIA

4 replies
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 1:59am
post #2 of 5

Anyone??? Bump.....

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 2:02am
post #3 of 5

When I make a Topsy Turvey, I figure the servings by the finished size of the bottom of the cake. I may have a few more servings but I would rather have to many than not enough. I always charge extra for topsy cakes as well since they are more difficult to do and are crumb coated with ganache.

I realize you said your's won't be a topsy but it will be cut down.

mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 2:09am
post #4 of 5

Thank you. That is what I was thinking, the bottom being the size for servings.

I am not charging for this, since I am a hobby baker, making it for a friend's bridal shower. However, I am thinking I might open a business if the CFL passes in CA. Would you charge more per serving, using the servings you figured using the diameter of the bottom, or would you charge your normal price, but for the diameter of the top? Which would be best???? Just curiosity. I was definitely thinking more than a normal cake, but wondering how to price; as a carved cake, or for more servings???

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 3:11am
post #5 of 5

I charge a dollar extra per serving (calculated from the bottom layer). This accounts for the extra layer of cake plus the ganache crumb coating. This does not include the non-buttercream decorations plus I add more if the customer wants fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%