Dark Blue

Baking By SPODN Updated 12 Oct 2012 , 4:27pm by Auburntigers91

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 12:31am
post #1 of 11

Has anyone make a dark blue cake. I want to make a navy blue cake, not the frosting the actual cake. Has anyone done this without ruining the taste of the cake. Should I start with something other than a white cake and if so what? I think if I try to add enough food color to make navy from a white cake its going to taste bad. icon_rolleyes.gif

10 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 11

Try adding blue jello to your cake mix, then you can add blue & black food coloring to get the color shade you desire.

HTH

SPODN Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 3:23am
post #3 of 11

I actually thought about Jello. I was hoping to come up with a solution that wouldn't add flavor but I guess I'll give it a try.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 3:48am
post #4 of 11

I've seen recipes for Blue Velvet. It's just a red velvet cake with blue food coloring. Everything other than food coloring would change the flavor.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:35am
post #5 of 11

Use Navy Blue gel or paste colour. You won't need too much. Use shortening not butter and use egg whites only.

Now please tell us: because I have never been asked to bake any blue food other than a blueberry pie or blueberry muffins or blueberry filling in white cake. Is there a specific reason that it has to be that dark?

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 11

sillywabbitz, if you mix the blue into the red wouldn't you get a purple cake?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 11

Yikes. You are going to have to add a TON of coloring to get a dark blue, and if you have whole eggs in your recipe then it might be even more difficult.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

sillywabbitz, if you mix the blue into the red wouldn't you get a purple cake?

Heehee I meant use a red velvet recipe and use blue food coloring instead of redicon_smile.gif

SPODN Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 11

I'm making a flag cake for my son's 4th of July b-day. I saw directions for a cake that when sliced the slices look like an american flag. I just made the red layers making a red velvet box mix and added white choc pudding and more red food coloring but it still looks more burgandy than red so I guess I better just stick to white cake with red food coloring. I do have navy blue gel food coloring. I just hope I don't ruin the flavor of the cake by using too much food coloring.

Thanks for all the advise. icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 11

You really don't need as much gel coloring as you think you do. Just a few drops will do and it won't affect the taste.

Auburntigers91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auburntigers91 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 11

We are making a Navy cake with orange marble swirl for an Auburn Birthday cake - what ended up being the easiest and most successful?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%