Smooth Ombre Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By chrisviz Updated 3 Mar 2013 , 1:55pm by EndlessSummer

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have any idea how the ombre cakes are done that you can see on the My Sweet & Saucy blog?? Do you think it's piped on with wide flat tip and then smoothed out with a scraper? So dying to figure this out and try it.. I love how it looks icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
Seashell48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seashell48 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 15

Yes, I would like to know the same thing, those are beautiful, and very popular cakes now days. I hope someone with experience can tell lus.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 15

It looks to me like a thin layer of very soft buttercream on a regular wide icing spatula, added while you are rotating the cake on a turntable.

Light shade at top is of course the base icing. I would hold the spatula upright for the middle shade. Then another layer at the bottom using the spatula sideways to control the width of that shade. The a last pass with the spatula to smooth it all out.

Your shading buttercream has to be perfectly smooth and a little soft. If you have to, thin your buttercream with a tiny bit of corn syrup to make it spread easily. And I think that using a petal tip would add too much thickness.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 15

Link please?

BakingIrene Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 15

Halfway down the page--the orange cake with yarn balls

http://www.mysweetandsaucy.com/tag/cake-stands/

chrisviz Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks BakingIrene... wasnt sure if I should/could add the link in my original post... I know you are very talented FromScratchSF... cant wait to see what you think....

chrisviz Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 12:01am
post #7 of 15

Here is a link to their FB site as well.. if you click on the wall photos you can see several examples of the ombre work... might be easier to find

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sweet-Saucy-Shop/114703245286526?sk=photos

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 12:03am
post #8 of 15

Yeah it's piped in 3 shades then smoothed with a bench scraper, the technique is very easy and exactly as bakingirene described, but that is totally SMBC or IMBC. I've done it with pink and white stripes on a cake. I love that orange though! I hate using that much coloring as a general rule but I love that look and might have to start using it more.

BakingIrene Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 12:12am
post #9 of 15

On those wafer thin layers of icing, the darkest shade is one drop of Americolor get in a half cup of icing. The middle shade is the dark shade diluted by half.

I don't think of this as very much colour. I would make the base shade with orange juice concentrate or orange curd.

chrisviz Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 12:18am
post #10 of 15

Thanks ladies, that was my suspicion as to how it was done...I just love the simple elegance of it... just going to have to try it soon,. icon_smile.gif

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 15
chrisviz Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 12:23am
post #12 of 15

Thanks Ibeeflower!

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 4:34am
post #13 of 15

I've done a few ombre cakes and a rainbow cake done witht he same technique, in buttercream, and wrote a tutorial on it as well.

full tierd ombre
rainbow cake
tutorial

chrisviz Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 4:58pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks megpi!

EndlessSummer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EndlessSummer Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 1:55pm
post #15 of 15

AThanks megpi! That's it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%