Cfl Owner In Frisco Tx Shut Down

Business By kisamarie Updated 11 Jun 2012 , 5:43am by scp1127

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 7

I just heard this story today, but was wanting to get some feedback from my fellow CFL bakers here in TX. This woman is not a cake baker but she still was operating under the CFL law. The city of Frisco shut her baking business down claiming they don't honor the state law because there city ordinance was written prior to Rick Perry passing the CFL bill last year. Here's the link to the story:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/the-scene/food-drink/City-Zoning-Preventing-Home-Bakeries-150667795.html

I am going to have to call my city on Monday and get the low down on my city laws.......a little worried, and I wonder why the city didn't mention the ordinances when she applied for her business license. My city asked me what type of business I would be operating and gave me tax information etc. when I applied..... What do y'all think?

6 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 7

You can stay apprised of new developments here: http://www.facebook.com/TexasBakersBill

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks Diane, I guess I'm a little slow, lol. I live in my own little cake filled world and didn't even know this was going on. I Liked the page, I look forward to following the story and I hope some good comes of her situation.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisamarie

I wonder why the city didn't mention the ordinances when she applied for her business license. My city asked me what type of business I would be operating and gave me tax information etc. when I applied..... What do y'all think?

In some municipalities the licensing people don't talk to the zoning people and may not be aware of current regulations (and they certainly don't talk to the health dept, which is usually at the county or state level).

Here in California it is illegal to sell baked goods that aren't made in an inspected commercial kitchen, but I was able to get a business license from the city for a bakery with my home as the address of record without any trouble, and this was before I had a commercial kitchen set up.

Most CFLs explicitly state that you must still adhere to local laws, so if the CFL says that, municipalities are well within their rights to shut down CFL businesses for violating zoning or other ordinances.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 1:14am
post #5 of 7

Texas bakers, please follow the Facebook link above for up to the moment updates on this situation. I am staying on top of it.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 1:37am
post #6 of 7

Thank goodness I live in Ohio! I often wonder how many people actually get sick from cottage industry produced products as opposed to licensed businesses such as restaurants. Yea, I hear horror stories about home bakers - but you should see behind the scenes in restaurants. I have been shocked at what I seen in restaurants since I have moved to this town.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 5:43am
post #7 of 7

Our state is not a CFL state, but it is my understanding that states set the minimums and municipalities are able to add to the regulations, just not lower the state standards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%