Taller Tiers:how Much In Advance To Keep Them Out Of Fridge?

Decorating By Panel7124 Updated 9 Jun 2012 , 7:42pm by Panel7124

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 3

Just a quick question: how much in advance to leave the cakes out of the fridge (one 3 tier 10 x 6'' + 8 x 4'' + 6 x 4'', 2 tier 8 x 6'' + 6 x 4'' and a single 10 x 6'') for a wedding this evening - cutting at 11 p. m.? They will be picked up at 8 - 9 p. m. by the caterer. I usually don't leave them outside for more than 2 hours before consumption as there are fresh strawberries in the filling + IMBC and ganache but 6'' tall tiers will probably need more time to come to the room temperature, they are quite massive icon_smile.gif On the other hand it would be preferable to transport stacked cakes chilled.

Last time I delivered taller tiers (6+''), client complained that 2 hours were not enough for the cake to come to the room temperature.Thanks!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 3

Boy, this is a tricky ? icon_sad.gif Lots depends on the weather. How hot is it in your area? How warm is the room where they will be stored? Is this cake already stacked and ready for display or are the tiers seperate and will be put together upon arrival? All these factors will help in deciding the answer for y ou. With fresh berries it should not be much more than the 2 hrs you mentioned.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 3

Well, it has been raining the whole week and it's terrible. It's not so hot (around 75 F) but terribly humid. I had a really hard time with fondant this time, it was just tearing, crumbling... not much to do. The cakes are already stacked (and are sweating like crazy while I'm decorating....). They will be delivered to the wedding tent (airconditioned). Thanks kakeladi, I know from forums you are the experienced one... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%