Friday Night Cake Club 6/8/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 9 Jun 2012 , 6:19am by carmijok

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:43am
post #1 of 16

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's up? Whatcha' workin' on?

Cat

15 replies
catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:45am
post #2 of 16

Last full week of school for us. Had a Bon Voyage cake as well as a Grad cake this week, both gone already. This upcoming week is just Father's day but I'm doing a Steampunk hex cake so that will be fun. So for now, just watching baseball and hanging out online!

Cat

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:18am
post #3 of 16

Just made a buttercream superhero cake with a "C" instead of an S on the logo. It's only okay looking, I am still new at this. Now the souls of my feet are blue because somehow I got food coloring on the floor... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:21am
post #4 of 16

Superhero cakes are SO hard to do in buttercream! And, yes, food coloring gets EVERYWHERE so easily! Hopefully you are at the point of your evening where you get to relax?

Cat

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:44am
post #5 of 16

I learned to make French Macarons today! There were several trial batches a week ago and today it just all worked! ::happy dance::

Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:44am
post #6 of 16

I have a lion King cake due at 8:30 am. I worked all night and day. I got in a 2 hr nap @ 4 am. My cakes are cooling and my icing is done. It just needs to be colored. It is going to be a 2 layer 9x13. I bought the 6 piece figure set from the Disney store to go on top. Hopefully I'll come up with something decent.

catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:57am
post #7 of 16

Yea! Leah! I have never even considered making Macarons but I LOVE them!

Angfastic: I love doing "background" cakes. I got an order for one for a Betty Boop cake and I can't wait to make it and stick Betty on it for the party!! Post what you come up with?

Cat

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:30am
post #8 of 16

I had so much work last week, I can't remember if I even signed in, lol. but this week I have no cake orders. Its been like that, every other week but it hits me hard.

Next week I have a quinceanera cake and I think I'm putting more into the carriage cake base than the cake itself. Hmmm.

Making lots of cake pops tho, cause those go fast even without an order.

catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:45am
post #9 of 16

I'm having a season like that too...one week super busy, one week dead. I don't have many weeks were I have nothing booked but I do have several where there is only one cake each week. Slower than last summer but enough to keep me busy so I'm not really minding that<G>.

Cat

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:55am
post #10 of 16

I am finishing up a bridal shower cake for one of my dearest friends. Why I agreed to host the party at my house during the last week of school, and make the cake I have no idea. My house is a mess, my kitchen has been transformed into Cakeland, and my backyard is set to get dusted by some major winds tonight!!!! But somehow, it will all come together....I hope!

Anyway, I need your help. Should I put the flowers on top, or leave them off?? Here is are the links to both from my facebook page.

TIA

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=3479977193688&set=a.1819414760665.2093562.1099039611&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=3479977953707&set=a.1819414760665.2093562.1099039611&type=1&theater

catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 5:00am
post #11 of 16

Unfortunately it's not letting me see the two photos!

Cat

mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 5:05am
post #12 of 16

Dang it! They are public on FB, maybe if you don't have an account. I will upload them to my gallery and provide the link.

mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 5:14am
post #13 of 16
catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 5:19am
post #14 of 16

I vote "with" the flowers on top

catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 6:10am
post #15 of 16

Just stopping back by to say goodnight...11pm PST for me and SO bedtime. I'll check back in the morning to see who stopped by and how projects turned out!

Cat

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 6:19am
post #16 of 16

Just finished a last minute cake for neighbor. Her grandson's baptism is this weekend. She asked if I could make a simple cake. 'Sure', I said. I thought I'd just put a pretty fondant cross on top and be done with it. Well, I thought the pretty cross would look good on top of a scalloped round of blue fondant, and oh yeah, let's cut little hearts around the edges...and hey, lets emboss another scallop of white fondant and dust it with pearl dust and put in on the blue scallop, THEN lay the blue cross on top of that...and what about some cute white roses in the center...and gee the side of the cake itself looks boring so why not emboss a filigree design around it (it's buttercream) and do a nice shell border at the base and hey some little blue roses would look cute here and there around the base....and....

I've come to the realization that 'simple' is not in my cake vocabulary. I don't do simple. I can't help it. I tried!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%