My Worst Nightmare!!!

Decorating By megg5 Updated 9 Jun 2012 , 3:02am by FromScratchSF

megg5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megg5 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:09am
post #1 of 10

Just thought i would share with everyone my first cake disaster!!! I was doing my first 4 tier wedding cake for my husband's friends wedding! I have done 3 tier wedding cakes with no problem before and was excited for my first large wedding cake!

The venue was about 30 minutes from my home, along the way a car decided to pull out infront of me on the highway causing me to slam on my breaks and swerve!!! Aghhhh im assuming you can figure out what happened next! Yep..IT FELL!!!! 3 tiers down!!!!

Now i stack all my wedding cakes with SPS and believe in how sturdy it is, hence me attempting to drive with a 4 tier cake!! (right there was my first mistake!!

I got to the venue and opened the back of my suv...I was horrified!!!! Luckily i drive with all of my cakes on a clean foam pad (My savior!!) 3 tiers had fallen and 2 of the three tiers fell on the foam pad!! Thank god, because that pad saved them from completely smashing!! The anniversary tier unfortanetly smashed against my back gate, making it inedible!!

I lost my cool and started shaking and crying! Luckily a friend was there and scooped the cake out of my car and brought it in to the venue!! I frantically talked to the bride(Who luckily understood and calmed me down!! haha even though I should be the one calming her down!! icon_smile.gif I explained to her that if she wanted the look of the 4 tier cake, I could salvage it, but it wouldnt be able to be eaten due to not landing on my clean pad. I explained I could either bake her another anniversary tier for her to freeze(for tradition) or I could bake her a fresh one on her one year anniversary!!

I pulled my emotions together and finally got my hands to stop shaking and started reconstruction!! Thank god for repair kits! I had packed my car full of extra buttercream, spatulas, and decorations! (2nd thing i learned...REPAIR KITS ARE A MUST!) I literally refrosted the whole cake and put on extra fondant leaves i had made incase they fell off during transport!

The wedding photographer was taking pictures all along the way of the reconstruction (Im sure those pictures will be interesting! Full of tears and frantic icing!!!) All in all the disaster was saved. I have heard that the guests were surprised to hear the cake had fallen over during transport and I got sooo many compliments (I dont know if people were just trying to be nice given the disaster?! But it made me feel better!) I got the ok from the bride that she was happy and went straight home and made myself a strong drink icon_wink.gif he he

Lesson learned!! NO MORE TRAVELING WITH 4 TIERS
LL

9 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:25am
post #2 of 10

That was a great save, good for you! Yes, if you're doing weddings, a fully stocked repair kit is a must.

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:26am
post #3 of 10

Sorry for your disatser woes hun. I know the feeling and it's not a good one lol. The cake was very pretty though icon_smile.gif Glad you were able to pull it together for the brides big day.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:27am
post #4 of 10

So sorry to hear about what happened but let me tell you......You did a heck of a job on repairing that cake. I would have never guessed what had happened.

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:29am
post #5 of 10

Wow, going by that picture, I would never have guessed that was a cake disaster! You did an awesome job saving it.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:49am
post #6 of 10

I use SPS also, but when I have more than a 3 tier cake, I take them unstacked and stack onsite. I drive carefully , but can't control what other drivers do.

So glad you could repair. It looks great!!

megg5 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:16am
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the kind words! Luckily the design was forgiving! and the huge flowers helped hide some flaws!! Wish me luck..this weekend I have another 4 tier!! I will most definetly be stacking this one on site!!!!!!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:26am
post #8 of 10

What support did you use that fell over?

megg5 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:23am
post #9 of 10

sps. which i have used numerous time! But what happened was someone pulled out infront of me on the highway causing me to break hard and swerve

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:02am
post #10 of 10

Oh, OK so you are singing SPS praises, I thought you used another support system that fell over so now you only use SPS.

Thanks for clarifying!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%