Just Venting Over A Crisis And Lesson Learned

Decorating By camomama5 Updated 9 Jun 2012 , 4:59pm by hieperdepiep

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 8

Well I learned today that IMBC should not go in the freezer. I had a cake final iced, then took it out and it was sweating so I left it out so it could evaporate and it's also fairly warm outside today. So.....my sides starting drooping!!!! My nerves are completely shot. I had to abandon my previous decorating sketch and go with something else (with a new layer of IMBC over it) DUH. I hate learning from MY OWN mistakes. I wish I could have learned from someone else's....haha.....If I am correct about my mistakes, maybe someone else will benefit from mine. Thanks for listening.

7 replies
camomama5 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 8

Oh yes and the best part, the cake STARTED to crack down the center. So I fixed the icing and threw it in the fridge QUICK.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 8

I'm sorry you experienced this. I never experimented with anything but buttercream made with shortening because of the heat here. I am afraid of anything else lol. Hope everyone reads this and learns to avoid this trouble. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with us.

hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry for your expierence!
I don't know if I clearly understand, my English is not the best. But I have frozen some IMBC-cakes, without this accident. I always thaw them in the fridge, covered in a cartonbox. Leaving it outside, it will sweat like you experienced, because the condensationwater, (coming from unfreezing a cold product in a warmer enverinment), sticks to your icing (or fondant) and to much water makes the icing unstable. At least I think that happened.
In the fridge the condensationstage comes more slowely and the condens will form on the carton box, which will absorb the water, preventing it to get to the icing or fondant. The little condens that still does form will evaporate once outside the frigde, but it is not that much then.

camomama5 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you SO MUCH!!! I will remember that! Yes you had it right. That is exactly what I did. Whomever reads this thread will now know what NOT to do (you're welcome icon_smile.gif ) and what TO DO instead. Thank you!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 8

I was going to say the same thing...Let it thaw out in the fridge first, then at room temp. But not freezing it is best icon_smile.gif And definitely don't try to mess with it while it's cold, or it can separate.

camomama5 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 8

thank you

hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

But not freezing it is best icon_smile.gif

I agree, you can taste the difference. Fresh is best. icon_smile.gif
But I am human too sometimes.. shhh.gif