Filling For Yellow Cake With Chocolate Frosting?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 8 Jun 2012 , 3:21pm by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 11

This is for my nephew's graduation (his mom, my sister died 2 yrs ago). All he said was white/yellow cake with chocolate frosting and "surprise me" for the filling. I'm thinking he doesn't have a clue. I know he doesn't like strawberries. Other than that, what goes good with yellow cake/choc frosting?

10 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 11

My most requested filling is a simple vanilla or chocolate fudge mousse. So simple and surprisingly good. I take two cups whipping cream and one small box of instant pudding. My favorites are vanilla, white chocolate, cheesecake, banana cream and chocolate fudge. If your cake will be displayed longer than four hours you can use Pastry Pride, Frostin Pride or Bettercreme in place of the whipping cream.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 11

Cookies n cream filling. American buttercream with about 4 crushed oreos per cup of icing.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 11

I'm such a big fan of yellow cake with chocolate frosting, I would never think to add a filling. But if you have to I would go with a chocolate mousse as described above with a bit of almond extract added to it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 11

I also like the cookies and cream filling , using whipped cream and adding the crushed oreos. I got this recipe from whimsical bakehouse book. so, delicious. I also put it in regular smbc or imbc . So delicious. hth

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 11

Raspberry!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 11

Caramel. icon_smile.gif

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 11

I would just use the same chocolate buttercream but add some instant espresso to make mocha chocolate filling.

Wildgirl Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 11

Lots of good ideas! I had already done a cookies and cream in a choc/choc cake for his adoption party last Sept. I was hoping to do something a bit different. (that was wonderful though!) I'm curious about the caramel - can't "taste" it in my brain though.... otherwise the chocolate mousse will probably be what I'll try. I was thinking about nutella too.... but have never tried that in a cake.

dandymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandymom Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 11

For me, there is something so nostalgic about a good yellow layer cake filled and frosted with chocolate frosting. Sometimes simple tastes the best.

Hth

Wildgirl Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 11

That would be a good "comfort" cake. I think he's expecting a "surprise" though so I'm feeling like I gotta get creative.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%