Help Needed With Badminton Net

Decorating By Merry2go Updated 8 Jun 2012 , 2:52pm by Merry2go

Merry2go Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry2go Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a 9x13 badminton cake. I've decided that I want it to look like the court divided by a net. I'm thinking of making the net from gum paste or maybe flexible royal icing and for the pole 'm thinking I would use fondant (or fanci foil) covered lollipop sticks. I'm stumped on how to attach the "net" to the poles. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Mary

7 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 8

To make a net with royal icing, you lay out your dry poles onto plastic wrap. You pipe the net and let it dry completely. Then the whole thing can be stuck into the cake.

Merry2go Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 8

That could work as long as I can keep myself from breaking it! I better make 2.

Merry2go Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry forgot to include my Thanks!

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

To make a net with royal icing, you lay out your dry poles onto plastic wrap. You pipe the net and let it dry completely. Then the whole thing can be stuck into the cake.

Good idea. I made a badminton racquet and shuttle cork, with fondant and royal icing. i used a bit of tulle too. came out well. What about using some wire enclosed in a strip of fondant just for the top and bottom of the net. this may give it extra strength. Make the two side poles first and insert two skewers in them. just some ideas.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 8

I would use either unbreakable lace which is rubbery and will move with bumps in the road during delivery or cut up an old onion bag and use a strip of mesh from that. I also like the posters idea of using tulle, but if you don't have the open weave type, then the wow factor may be lost because you won't be able to see it.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 8

Denise, the UK tradition of using tulle under royal icing is to strengthen it without it being too visible. I agree that it would help keep the net strong.

Merry2go Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks all! i like the reinforcement idea of the tulle. I think royal icing by itself would be too fragile.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%