Runny Creamcheese Frosting

Decorating By learningtodecorate Updated 8 Jun 2012 , 1:46pm by doramoreno62

learningtodecorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learningtodecorate Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 10

On yesterday I have some red velet cupcakes that require creamcheese frosting. When I made the frosting it was kind of running it wasn't stuff enough to put on top to the cupcake to make the normal cupcake "swirl" or anything else for that matter. I was wondering if anyone know what I could have dont wrong, and/or do you have a better recipe for a creamcheese frosting.
This is what I did, I use 1 8oz of soften creamchees, 4 cups of power sugar, 1 stick of soften butter, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
I got this recipe off the internet, so what went wrong, oh the recipe called for 3 cups of sugar, but it was way to watery so I added a 4th cup to try to thicken it up.
As of now the creamcheese frosting taste good, so I was just going to use it to make some cake truffles, but I wondering if it will even hold the cake together. What do you think icon_smile.gif pleae help.

9 replies
coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 10

I find it hard to get cream cheese firm enough to swirl, but I have much better luck when I make it with cold cream cheese rather than room temperature.

learningtodecorate Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 10

Thank-You

dandymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandymom Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 10

Try this:

12oz cold cream cheese
1 stick unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 3/4 cup powdered sugar.

learningtodecorate Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 10

Thank-You very much

CasperCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CasperCakeCreations Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 10

I live in the humid Southern USA, which presents a huge challenge when using cream cheese frosting. I add powdered sugar until I get the consistency I need, instead of only adding what the recipe calls for.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 10

This is actually my go-to buttercream recipe. I use it for all my cakes. Check out my gallery and you can see it pipes well, crusts well and most importantly tastes delicious. Learned the recipe from the bakery I worked for. I don't cover with fondant...just buttercream with fondant decor.

2 sticks (8 ounces) of real butter (I use salted)
1 8 ounce box of cream cheese
2 lb package of powdered sugar.

Blend softened cream cheese and softened butter together in mixer until very well combined. Slowly add in powdered sugar.

That's it. You don't need vanilla but if you want to change the flavors with zests like orange or lemon...or fresh coconut...it works great. I turn this into chocolate by adding a splash of vanilla and 2/3 cup cocoa powder and a half stick more butter. Yum. HTH!

Addie2580 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addie2580 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 12:38am
post #8 of 10

This is the recipe I always use and it works very good for me:

Ingredients:
2 (8oz) cream cheese, softened
4 cups of sifted confectioners sugar
2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Mix crem cheese with sugar and butter on low speed until incorporated. increase speed to high and mix until fluffy (5 mins aprox) scraping down the sides occasionaly.
2. Reduce speed to low, add vanilla and raise speed, mix briefly until fluffy.
3. Store in the refrigerator until somewhat stiff before using.

Hope that helps.

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 10

Make sure you use full fat cream cheese...the low fat one will always be runny and won't stand up to piping.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkstar

Make sure you use full fat cream cheese...the low fat one will always be runny and won't stand up to piping.

YES!! I learned this the hard way. I accidentally bought low fat cream cheese and it was very runny. It was yucky, I tossed it. thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%