Un Dairy Fillings

Baking By lisssa Updated 7 Aug 2013 , 12:43am by bubs1stbirthday

lisssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisssa Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 21

Hello,
I need to do a cake for a friend how has allergies for milk.
What type of fillings, ganaches, creams can I use without MILK???

can I do ganache with dark chocolate with vegetable cream??
Thank you!

20 replies
Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 21

Try fruit fillings and dairy free buttercream using either dairy-free butter or shortening. I would expect there are at least some fondants that are dairy free. I know marzipan is so that could be an option too.
If you search for vegan fillings and frostings you should find plenty

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 21

I'd just add melted chocolate to your dairy free buttercream rather than attempt to make a dairy free ganache.

lisssa Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 21

I want to try a fruit filling and a chocolate also.

Thanks for advices thumbs_up.gif

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 21

dairy-free ganache is easy. Use vegan chocolate chips and sub full fat coconut milk for the heavy cream.

lisssa Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 21

it really has to be vegan chocolate chips or dark chocolate which doesn t contain milk?

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 21

my kids have dairy allergies and sometimes have reactions to dark chocolate even though it doesn't contains dairy because it's typically processed in the same area where other chocolates that do contain dairy are. Just read the label and steer clear of things that are also processed in facilities that contain dairy. Skip girhadelli. I've had sucess with whole food's store brand and enjoy life.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 21

I thought this was about the United Nations dairy filling. icon_biggrin.gif

You mean non dairy or dairy free.

I would look into some Kosher non dairy recipes. I used to work at a Jewish catering hall and all their desserts where dairy free because they can't mix meat and dairy in the same meal.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdovewings

I've had sucess with whole food's store brand and enjoy life.

Same here, for dairy-free orders the only safe chocolate we've found is Whole Foods vegan chocolate chips, Enjoy life chocolate chips, and Hershey Special Dark cocoa powder. For margarine we use Earth Balance soy-based margarine.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisssa

I want to try a fruit filling and a chocolate also.

Thanks for advices thumbs_up.gif

Cocoa powder doesn't have dairy product in it.

jason_kraft Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloGuy

Cocoa powder doesn't have dairy product in it.

Most manufacturers of cocoa powder process it on shared equipment with dairy, so there is a high risk of cross contamination. Hershey was the only company that confirmed they don't use shared equipment to make their cocoa powder (the Special Dark variety at least).

lisssa Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 1:34am
post #12 of 21

Thank you so much for all this infos. They are helping a lot.
He has an allergy to milk so i assume is dairy, please correct me if I am wrong, this is something NEW to me.

Thank you again!

jason_kraft Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 1:43am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisssa

He has an allergy to milk so i assume is dairy, please correct me if I am wrong, this is something NEW to me.

If he is allergic to casein (the main protein in milk) you will need to be very careful about cross-contamination. If it is lactose intolerance that's usually less severe, but in either case your best bet is going through all the ingredients you will be using and making sure he is OK with them.

cakesrocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrocks Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 21

AWhat do I subsitute eggs in a recipe for non dairy recipe

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 3:32pm
post #15 of 21

Cakesrocks,  I may have completely misunderstood you, but eggs are not dairy and so would not need to be substituted for dairy-free.  Did you mean vegan?

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 4:47am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieAylett 

Cakesrocks,  I may have completely misunderstood you, but eggs are not dairy and so would not need to be substituted for dairy-free.  Did you mean vegan?

The person that asked about eggs is not the OP. Thanks to all of you. I never knew dark chocolate was dairy free. I learned something new. :)

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 6:05am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct806 

The person that asked about eggs is not the OP. Thanks to all of you. I never knew dark chocolate was dairy free. I learned something new. :)

Just be careful with that one - not all dark chocolate is dairy free, generally the higher percentage of cocoa it contains the less chance there is that it will have milk products in it. I recently found that out as my bub has been diagnosed as dairy allergic.

Also because the same protein can be found in soy, depending on how sensitive you are soy can cause the same reaction as milk in some people, a lot of the products that don't have cows milk will use soy in its place (including a lot of dairy free chocolates). I'm sure the client would have let you know if that was the case with them but it's just something to be aware of.

Also does anyone know of a cocoa powder in Australia that does not contain dairy or say on the packaging that it may contain traces of dairy? Thanks.

bct806 Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 4:02pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs1stbirthday 

Just be careful with that one - not all dark chocolate is dairy free, generally the higher percentage of cocoa it contains the less chance there is that it will have milk products in it. I recently found that out as my bub has been diagnosed as dairy allergic.

Also because the same protein can be found in soy, depending on how sensitive you are soy can cause the same reaction as milk in some people, a lot of the products that don't have cows milk will use soy in its place (including a lot of dairy free chocolates). I'm sure the client would have let you know if that was the case with them but it's just something to be aware of.

Also does anyone know of a cocoa powder in Australia that does not contain dairy or say on the packaging that it may contain traces of dairy? Thanks.

The soy I was aware of. My nephew was allergic to both as a baby. I will definitely make sure to check packages though. 

cakesrocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrocks Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 2:23pm
post #19 of 21

AOk I'm sorry. Need dairy free recipe. Eggs are ok. A lot recipes on here have sour cream in it. I need good vanilla cake recipe. Help!

bct806 Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 2:42am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrocks 

Ok I'm sorry. Need dairy free recipe. Eggs are ok. A lot recipes on here have sour cream in it. I need good vanilla cake recipe. Help!

I generally sub the milk for almond milk. You can search through here, there are some recipes. You can also start your own thread and ask if people will share theirs.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:43am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrocks 

Ok I'm sorry. Need dairy free recipe. Eggs are ok. A lot recipes on here have sour cream in it. I need good vanilla cake recipe. Help!

As BCT said you can normally use any other kind of milk as a substitute for cows milk. I find it really easy to make a coconut milk when required and it is whiter than almond milk. My favourite way to make it is to use 1 cup of desiccated coconut (I use M'Kkenzies) - add to that 2 & 1/2 cups of water that has boiled in the kettle then been cooled for a minute. Let that sit covered for round 15 - 20 minutes so that the coconut softens a bit and the water is not too hot. Then pop in the food processor and blend for a few minutes (I normally add a little honey and vanilla to taste while blending) then pour through a fine sieve to remove the solids. Use as required in place of cows milk. Note that if it is left to sit in the fridge for long the coconut oil will separate from the coconut water and you will have a liquid and a solid (not so great if you poured yours into a tall glass water bottle I found out lol)

Hope you find that useful cakesrocks  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%