Has Anyone Used Vases To Support Cakes?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 7 Jun 2012 , 7:11pm by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 9:43am
post #1 of 4

I friend of mine plans on using vases of different heights to elevate six cakes. I'm not to worried about the side cakes but is it possible to use two vases to support cakes instead of pillars on a three tier cake if we use cake drums? The two cakes would be a 10 and 6 inch cakes. She wants to fill the cylinder vases with lights and water beads.

3 replies
missy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy2008 Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 4

i have never done this, but would think that as long as it's treated as a stacked construction all would be fine. make sure supports are level level level! and maybe some fondant on top of vase to keep 6inch cake from sliding off top of vases?
post pics when you get it done!!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 4

You can do this with THREE vases per separation. Total of six for the three-tier cake.

One vase per separation is just not stable enough for a party with music/dancing/bumping into tables kinds of stress.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 4

The vase with the water beads is like the one pictured but shorter 5 to 6" in H and 3" W. I was thinking of using hot glue or royal icing around the rim of the vase. I was looking at the acrylic cake stands with the 1 1/2 middle tube but they look less stable to me and I don't think the water beads or light will fit inside. Thank you everyone for your help.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%