How To Go About This Ribbon Design???

Decorating By crazyducky123132 Updated 27 Jun 2012 , 7:01am by mcaulir

crazyducky123132 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyducky123132 Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 7:14am
post #1 of 15

So I am deciding if I want to make my own wedding cake or not... I am trying to figure out how to go about making the pieces that go on this cake. Does anyone have any ideas, tips, or advice on how to go about making these ribbon flowers? Also, has anyone made their own wedding cake? Was it worth it, or should I spend the $600 to have someone make this for me and save the stress?Image

14 replies
Mommacoz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommacoz Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 10:55am
post #2 of 15

Those look like quilling and I thought I saw a tutorial somewhere on quilling with fondant/gumpaste. Sorry I can't remember where I saw it.

I would imagine you could do a lot of that ahead of time letting the fondant/gumpaste dry really well.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 11:50am
post #3 of 15

I didn't make my own cake, but I can tell you that I would have had no time and no patience in the days leading up to my wedding to be worrying about making a 4 tiered cake, and absolutely no time the day of to be worrying about delivering one anywhere. I have to advise paying the money, sorry.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 15

I vote for having someone else making your wedding cake. You will have enough last minute things to do without having to worry about making & decoratering your wedding cake. Give yourself a break. By the way, congratulations.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 15

I am going to go against the grain and say do it. I made my own, four tiers, and it was awesome. I wouldn't have had it any other way. It wasn't fancy or over the top at all. It was decorated with fresh florals.

Now with this cake you can do the quilling in advance which you will definitely need to do. Here are a few items for you to peruse:

http://www.mycakeschool.com/blog/quilling-with-fondant-gum-paste/

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Quilling-Flowers

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6756589-.html

If you have experience icing and covering with fondant and stacking I would say this is definitely do-able. You just need to plan, plan, plan. Bake in advance and freeze. Make your buttercream and fillings up ahead of time and freeze. SPS can make it easy for you to stack on-site the day of, or if you can have one of your bridesmaids do it (obviously you have to show her how to do it) that's even better. You can have this done in a few hours if you plan properly.

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 15

I too vote for making your own. This way you know it is done to your specifications and desires. I agree that there are a lot of elements which can be done before hand, and if one of your friends can be responsible for setup that would take the pressure of the day setup.

Introduce your friends to cake setup now with some of your orders in between now and your wedding so that they will feel comfortable about it.

Earlval33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Earlval33 Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 15

http://www.mycakeschool.com/blog/quilling-with-fondant-gum-paste/
I saw a tutorial here but I havnt tried it

Earlval33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Earlval33 Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 15

Well I hit reply and went to deal with a lil gal that had gum in her hair and didnt see the reply with the tutorial before mine sry didn't mean to duplicate info...either way good luck and congratulations!!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 15

The quilling needs to be done so far ahead that you can get it perfect. Use "flowerpaste" type gumpaste rather than fondant, if you can.

For the cake, you will need to review the use of some sort of support system. You make each tier separately, stack then up, and stick the decorations on with royal icing onsite.

This is a doable project if you don't have family soap operas going on just before the wedding. I made my own cake after I had made a few other wedding cakes for friends. The soap opera happened anyway but I had the experience to get my cake done just fine--I had made the topper, assembled all the supports, and dried the flowers a full month ahead.

Maybe the compromise is to order a cake covered with fondant but no decorations whatsoever, and add your own. DO NOT tell them what you plan to do...

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 15

It would be neat to make your own, but have you ever made and delivered a wedding cake ? Do you remember how stressed you were just getting it there in one piece ? Do you have to decorated the hall yourself ? Could you do the set up the night before ? It will probably be sitting out SOMEWHERE...... it might as well be at the venue......... are you getting your hair done that day? Are you getting dressed at the church or at home ? There are A LOT of questions you need to answer for yourself before you decide......... IF it was ME, I wouldn't do it for a million dollars....... Either way..... Good luck and God's blessings on your marriage....

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 15

I made my own wedding cake. Of course it wasn't stacked, I had a four tier stand that was at different levels (don't know how to really explain it). It had silk flowers on it. I set it up the night before the wedding after the rehearsal dinner while the rest of the wedding party was decorating the hall.

Making my own cake was a good feeling, I knew what I was getting and it was exactly what I wanted. I also made all my favors, my step-daughters dress, the head pieces for the bridesmaids, etc.

All it takes, as others have said, is good planning. I think you could do this cake, because most of it could be done ahead of time.

Congratulations and all the best to you on your wedding day. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jealena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jealena Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 15

Don't know how to do the quilling but love the look....
I vote "NO" for doing your own cake!!! I did my daughters 5 tier cake and with rehearsals, hair appt, family pulling at you every which way, and a million details to handle beside the cake. It puts a lot of stress you just shouldn't have to deal with not only on your very special day, but the week leading up to it!!!!! thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

laurabeth73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurabeth73 Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 4:53pm
post #13 of 15

Oh my dear, if you have your heart set on making your own wedding cake then by all means go for it! As a former bride & the step mother of an soon to be bride, really think about it. Are going to really want that added stress the week of your wedding? Depending on how much help you have planning your big day can make the world of difference.
I LOVE the cake you want. I did a quick search here on CC & I was surprised to find no tutorial on quilling but I would google it. If you should decide to have someone else make it for you, what a lot of brides are doing in my area are having the bottom tier be the cake for the couple to cut, the other tiers are dummy cakes & then back in the kitchen they have sheet cakes to be cut & served to the quests. With the economy the way it is, its just a little money saver tip. Please, I am not trying to offend anyone! It was just a suggestion. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU! icon_smile.gif

crazyducky123132 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyducky123132 Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 6:51am
post #14 of 15

Thanks everyone for the input and opinions and blessings!!! It really means a lot to me! Sorry it has taken me forever to respond too, I have been extremely busy with wedding planning. While I would LOVE to do this, my family and those opposed to making the cake on this topic has convinced me not to do it myself. I know a lot of it could be made ahead of time, but I also know how stressed I get delivering other bride's wedding cakes! And like a lot of you said I have no clue what will be going on that week that will need my attention. Also, thanks for all of the quilling tutorials, I had no idea that's what it was called! I love the quilling so these tutorials will help me with learning how to go about them... maybe I can compromise and make a small cake like my wedding cake for my bridal shower!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 7:01am
post #15 of 15

I think doing a cake for your bridal shower is an excellent idea. Best wishes with all the wedding planning!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%