Ribbon To Ribbon

Decorating By Jealena Updated 6 Jun 2012 , 3:23pm by Jealena

Jealena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jealena Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 13

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before but can't find. When placing ribbon around round tiers, I know it will stick to the BC, but I want to put a piece of smaller ribbon of a different color on the thicker, larger ribbon in the center, would you use buttercream as well to get it to adhere to the ribbon so it will stay???
Wedding is Sat and am concerned it will fall off????

12 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 13

I'd like to know too.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 13

If it's not going to touch the cake you could use glue dots from a craft store. I use them to attach ribbon to my bottom board.

Jealena Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks Jason-Lisa... I'll give it a try...(thats the names of my 2 kids...)!!!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 12:04am
post #5 of 13

Buttercream makes a greasy stain on ribbon. You will have to put a thin strip of bakers parchment between your ribbon and your buttercream cake.

If you already have royal icing mixed up, use a thin line of that. Otherwise use glue.

Jealena Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 12:18am
post #6 of 13

I put some oil on the ribbons so they wouldn't stain, so I really don't think glue or anything like that will adhere, so I think I am back to trying to glue it with buttercream?? Has anyone done this, do you think it will work????

TinkerCakes Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 12:31am
post #7 of 13

Maybe you should try it....put the ribbon around a cake pan and see if the small ribbon sticks to the large one with buttercream.
I wouldn't be so sure about the glue dots not working...have you ever used them? They REALLY work...you can't even touch them, They are like super glue. Just a thought if the buttercream doesn't work.icon_smile.gif
That's funny about the names, my boyfriend is Jason....we named our daughter Jaylee (the beginning of our names!)

Jealena Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 12:45am
post #8 of 13

Jason-Lisa, , that sounds good, I will get the glue dots, is that what they are called? I will get them in the morning and give it a try, certainly nothing to lose and everything to gain. I think it would give it a nicer look more finished look as well. I Can put it together on a trial cake and see what happens, would love for it to work that easy...

Cute daughter's name as well!!!!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 12:53am
post #9 of 13

Have you tried double sided tape?

Jealena Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 1:01am
post #10 of 13

Yes, I have tried the tape but it won't stick, I guess because of the oil coating....but thanks!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 1:04am
post #11 of 13

You can use RI and hold with a pin until it dries.

TinkerCakes Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 13

Jealena, I did a test with the glue dots and it didn't work! UGH! If you purchased them already I'm sure you will still get good use out of them, I use mine alot. I guess buttercream or RI will have to work. Let us know how it goes!

Jealena Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks for letting me know Jason-Lisa, yes that oil on the ribbon sure seems to change things up. Anyway, right now I have put it all together with BC icing and so far so good!! It seems to be on my test one well enough w/o any bulging or looking like it will fall off, hope a real cake will hold it just as well. I will give it the rest of the day and let you know when it dries really well if stays on!!! It looks cute, don't think it would be a idea if the ribbon was very light colored, you would see the BC under it for future reference. My colors are a brown and coral so you can't see through it.... icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%