What Gauge Of Wire Should I Use To Make Stargazer Lilies?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 5 Jun 2012 , 6:44pm by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 8:54am
post #1 of 7

I have 20 gauge wire but it seems to big to insert into the stargazer petals. What size of wire should I be using to make these flowers. I don't know if I am going to want to make another flower after finishing this cake. I know it's fun to see the finished cake but ten cakes sure take a lot of handmade flowers. When I told my friend how many flowers I was going to have to make for her cake her response was you have two months to make them. Maybe I need to teach her how to make flowers so I can tell her she has a couple of months to finish 25 stargazer lilies, 250 small filler flowers, 20 full roses, 25 rose buds, 150 ivy leaves plus rose leaves and then dust them all with petal and luster dust and work full time. I swear people think we wave a magic wand.

6 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 9:54am
post #2 of 7

I usually use a 26 for lillies , I also use a grooved board to make the vein at the back.

I lay them over the back of a big rolling pin as I go.Once they are dry I then bundle them into sets of three bigger petals and three smaller petals layed on top on one another ( as a lily has two different sizes ) loosely taped . I find it is easier to count where you are up to and store until you need to colour and assemble them.

Good luck , I would be in heaven making all those flowers .

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

When I told my friend how many flowers I was going to have to make for her cake her response was you have two months to make them. Maybe I need to teach her how to make flowers so I can tell her she has a couple of months to finish 25 stargazer lilies, 250 small filler flowers, 20 full roses, 25 rose buds, 150 ivy leaves plus rose leaves and then dust them all with petal and luster dust and work full time. I swear people think we wave a magic wand.

Well make sure to take a gazillion good pictures. Close-ups and all.

But 'scuse me, didn't the price tag tell the customer how much work there was in this megaproject?

I have been burned badly by people who assumed that I would do such work FOR FREE, and who then got rid of my most treasured cake decorating books to boot. Yah they borrowed my Lambeth and South African books and then gave them to a graphic artist "who needed them more than I did". It took me some years to want to do fancy cakes again.

PLEASE don't let the strain of friendship destroy your creativity. Take a holiday from flowers, but learn from this that you have to charge what the work is really worth and then people will respect it. Some people can see and do respect the elegance, but some people need to be kicked in the wallet to open their eyes.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 7

I would definitely "invite" your friend to come and at least see the making of these flowers. She needs to see how long it take to make each one.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 7

I use 22 gauge on stargazer lillies.

Lucyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucyem Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 7

In my Wilton class we used 26 gauge, green for the leaves and white for the petals. Using (of course) the Wilton wire.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone. I am finding it difficult to find 26 gauge wire unless I order it online. Off to search.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%