What Is Your Go To Buttercream Recipe For Cupcakes?

Baking By karukaru Updated 5 Jun 2012 , 6:12am by scp1127

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 3:17am
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone!
I normally use indydebi's crusting Buttercream for cakes but I am not liking it so much for cupcakes. I need to do 36 cupcakes for a babyshower on Sunday. The cupcakes will have Fondant accent so the bc will have to work well with Fondant. I am thinking that a non-crusting bc is probably better but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

9 replies
SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 3:36am
post #2 of 10

This is my go to recipe for all my buttercream frosting, but I am an amateur newbie. I found the recipe online.

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar
A few teaspoons milk until you find the consistency you like.

for chocolate 3/4 cup cocoa or 3 1oz chocolate squares and a little extra milk if needed.

Pinch of fine popcorn salt can cut sweetness, I've read that shortening also cuts out some of the sweetness as opposed to all butter.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 3:42am
post #3 of 10

Any of the European buttercreams plus cream cheese with just butter, no shortening ever in any product. Well, I do have two exceptions... Oreo and Classic Whoopie, but shortening is used in the original recipes and these are supposed to be authentic.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 4:16am
post #4 of 10

2 sticks butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp milk (or a little more depending on your desired consistency).

I love this and always use it for buttercream.

karukaru Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 10

Scp1127 and Osgirl,
I am assuming you have to refrigerate the icing because of all the butter right? If so, what do you do with the cupcakes? I would rather not have to put them in the fridge. Do you ice the cupcakes last minute? Also, wouuld it work ok with fondant toppers? I am making little fondant figurines and I don't want them to get damaged. I know these are a bunch of stupid questions but I am used to working with all shortening recipes. I tried SMBC and did not like the flavor at all. It took a lot of flavoring to get rid of the pure butter flavor. Thanks!

karukaru Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloGuy

This is my go to recipe for all my buttercream frosting, but I am an amateur newbie. I found the recipe online.

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar
A few teaspoons milk until you find the consistency you like.

for chocolate 3/4 cup cocoa or 3 1oz chocolate squares and a little extra milk if needed.

Pinch of fine popcorn salt can cut sweetness, I've read that shortening also cuts out some of the sweetness as opposed to all butter.

Thank you so much =)

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 10

I love SMBC, I use that often. Also, I make a buttercream made with butter and cream cheese. (1/2 cup butter, a little less than 1/2 cup cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, little bit of milk). It cuts the sweetness just a little bit, and adds a hint of cream cheese flavour. I'm not a fan of shortening icings.

karukaru Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLotus

I love SMBC, I use that often. Also, I make a buttercream made with butter and cream cheese. (1/2 cup butter, a little less than 1/2 cup cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, little bit of milk). It cuts the sweetness just a little bit, and adds a hint of cream cheese flavour. I'm not a fan of shortening icings.

Do you have to refrigerate it? I am not a fan of shortening icings either but they work really good in fondant covered cakes. I don't like them so much on cupcakes so that is why I need a new recipe as I am hoping to get new customers from this baby shower.

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 1:23am
post #9 of 10

I have left it out for a few hours and it's fine, but I probably wouldn't want to risk leaving it out overnight.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 6:12am
post #10 of 10

Nope, never the refrigerator. I make the IMBC, SMBC, FBC, or GBC and refrigerate it if I won't be using it right away. I make the cupcakes about 12 hours before delivery or pickup because they seem to mellow out at this time.

Right before giving them to the client, I frost them. I have taken the buttercream out for the appropriate amount of time for piping. Now the product can be enjoyed by the customer right away or for the next two days unrefrigerated.

On all European buttercreams, make sure the eggs reach a minimum of 160 degrees and your buttercream will be safe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%