Help From Uk Bakers Please?

Decorating By JamAndButtercream Updated 4 Jun 2012 , 7:02pm by SugaredSaffron

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,

This question is mainly for UK bakers, because I'm from the UK.

What I wanted to ask was, I'm going on a cake decorating course in September, so right now I'm just practising cake decorating, not selling them, in the UK what are the main types of cake people use for cakes?
I know that Pound cake is popular in the USA, but what is mainly used over here?
Is it Sponge or Madeira, or something else?

I do carved novelty cakes mainly, and use sponge cake and I find that when I "dirty ice" the cake with buttercream, it totally rips the cake apart because its so soft!

Any help, tips, advice is great, Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 5:24am
post #2 of 5

Hiya

I'm in the uk too and although i dont make an awful lot of cakes most people ask for 'just normal sponge with jam and buttercream' for birthdays unless i give them some suggestions. Even with wedding cakes, less people like traditional fruitcake these days. I don't know if thats true of a busy baker though.

I also make lemon sponge with a lemon curd filling and chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache filling.

I got a great recipe from someone off here for a high density sponge that holds together well when its carved. I can pm you the recipe if you like?

Lyndsey x

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 9:15am
post #3 of 5

If you would like to share the recipe thats great! Thank you Lyndseyb52 icon_smile.gif

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 9:21am
post #4 of 5

May you pm me the recipe too Lyndsey?

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 5

It seems to be Vanilla with different flavoured buttercreams. What kind of sponge recipe are you using? I find a vanilla buttercake recipe or something similar to a victoria sponge works fine. I let the cake get as cool as possible without freezing/refridgeration and I'm as gentle as possible with it. I dont crumbcoat though I just use ganache so it sets up nice and firm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%