Is Italian Meringue Buttercream Hard To Make.

Baking By SoFloGuy Updated 3 Jun 2012 , 5:05pm by rlowry03

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 5

I'm a novice and it sounds complicated. You have to whip your egg white to the perfect consistency (without under or over whipping which seems hard to me) , and you have to heat the sugar/water/etc mixture to just the right temperature and I think it would be tricky adding the hot element to the egg whites. Is it difficult or is it a forgiving recipe that doesn't need to be perfect? I might make it next time I make my flan which uses the yolks, so I will have left over whites.

4 replies
hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 5

I don't find the Italian buttercream very difficult, but no... it is not a forgiving recipee. You must follow the instructions on temperatures quite precize.
The fun part is actually putting the hot sugar with the eggwhites, to me. icon_biggrin.gif It makes you feel the best scratch-baker. icon_lol.gif

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 5

I don't think it is difficult to make at all. It can take a bit of babysitting in the beginning but it is totally worth it. Look up Warren Brown's video. I have been making swiss meringue buttercream exclusively for over 5 years because I thought the italian was difficult. Once I made it the first time, I never looked back. I love them both but the italian method is quicker for me. HTH and good luck thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 6:24am
post #4 of 5

I think many people fail the first time. I did. I got to the curdling stage and was sure I messed it up. But the second time's usually a charm for everyone.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 5

I always make swiss meringue buttercream because I don't like the idea of making a boiled sugar syrup. I'm afraid I'll somehow drop it on me between the stove and the mixer... And I've never been good at pouring a thin stream into the mixer without catching the whisk and getting sugar strands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%