White Flower Cake Shoppe Signature Flower

Decorating By littlestruedel Updated 23 Jun 2016 , 9:36pm by MBalaska

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 1:15pm
post #61 of 165

On White Flower Cake Shoppe's Facebook page they say they are talking to Craftsy about doing a tutorial.  Also on their page it said they use swiss meringue.  I agree with costumeczar.  I used regular buttercream, 1/2 butter 1/2 hi-ratio shortening and I think my flower came out OK for a first try.  I would like to get my petals higher but I think that is going to come with practice and getting the right consistency icing whatever icing you may be using. 

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 9:07pm
post #62 of 165

Used my new tip 403 today and here's what I came up with.  I opened up the tip a bit too as others have suggested and I used a pretty stiff buttercream - the same consistency you'd use for a rose. 

Thanks for everyone's advice!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 10:15pm
post #63 of 165

Those are so great!  I can't wait to try mine with royal icing this week!  Did you start at the outside edge and work in?  That seemed to work best when I tried with IMBC.

Liz

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 10:27pm
post #64 of 165

Fabulous cakes!!! Buttercream, I'm impressed!! But they aren't perfectly smooth!! I feel better. :)

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 10:27pm
post #65 of 165

Thanks!  Yep, I started at the outside edge and worked my way in.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 10:40pm
post #66 of 165

Very pretty cupcakes, Sugar Fairy. 

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 12:10am
post #67 of 165

Wow!!!  Great job Sugar Fairy!!  I definitely need more practice! 

nancylee61 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 3:00pm
post #68 of 165

I don't know if I would pay for a tutorial from them. If you look closely at their cakes, the buttercream is often not smooth (I know many of you would see that!!) and the fondant strips are cracking. Maybe because they do a lot of cakes? I don't know - I do love the flowers, and I adore the colors they use, but their workmanship is not what I aspire to do, so I don't think I would spend the $$ on a craftsy tutorial. 

http://whiteflowercake.com/wp/gallery/classic/#

(Edited to add: I just saw their buttercream cakes start at $8 a slice!! At that price, my buttercream had better be smooth as glass and my fondant perfect. Wow!! Makes me evaluate what the public really wants.)

nancylee61 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 3:03pm
post #69 of 165

I meant the White Flower Cake cakes aren't smooth, not your flowers!! Your flowers look great!

Nancy

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 4:26pm
post #70 of 165

Thanks Nancy!

I was actually thinking the same thing... I wouldn't pay for a tutorial.  They are actually pretty easy to do... you just need to practice a bit to get them right.  Just like you would for the buttercream rose (which is actually harder.)

AivaCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AivaCake Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 5:06pm
post #71 of 165

AI would totally pay for a tutorial to watch them do their scroll work. It's amazing! I'm such a fan of different types of scroll work

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 5:23pm
post #72 of 165

I agree, their scroll work is beautiful!

nancylee61 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 8:35pm
post #73 of 165

AOh, yes, their scrollwork and wedding cakes in general are gorgeous! Much higher quality than the one tier cakes.

I got ahead of myself and signed up for Modern Piping on Craftsy with Joshua John Russell when I hadn't even done regular piping! It's a very good class, I'm just not ready for that yet. I envy those of you who live near Seatlle - I see great classes given in person out there. I live 2 hours from the CIA and I'm taking a class there this Saturday, but they are limited in cake decorating classes.

(Sorry to thread hijack) Nancy

AivaCake Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 7:58pm
post #74 of 165

My second attempt at these flowers.  its a pattern and wrist thing, kind of like borders.  I still have a bit to go to get them uniform but I love the look!

liz at sugar Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 10:47pm
post #75 of 165

Oh they look beautiful!

Liz

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 11:24pm
post #76 of 165

AviaCake:  They look gorgeous!  Good job!!

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 3:26am
post #77 of 165

Those are looking great. I need to get my tip back out and try again. Mine didn't come out as nice as yours. What kind of buttercream did you use? I think White Flower uses a swiss meringue. Great job...I'm jealous!!!!

AivaCake Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 3:35am
post #78 of 165

AI pryed my tip open bigger and I use my own ABC, no stiffer than usual. My BC is a sweetex and butter shortening with other junk to make it fluffier but smooth. Definitely didn't stiffen it up at all. Overlapping the petals helps keep them upright, but even some of mine come out further.

AivaCake Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 3:36am
post #79 of 165

AAnd yes I think they do. At least that's what they sell. I applaud those that can get SMBC that dang smooth! I need to try another recipe. The one I used (one everyone raves here) was good but way to buttery for me. And I'm a southern gal, I love buttah as much as Paula deen! But the texture is beautiful

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 2:18pm
post #80 of 165

AHere is my take on these beautiful cakes. This is after two classes.[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3220264/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT="My take on white flower cake"]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3220265/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 4:07pm
post #81 of 165

Your cake turned out beautiful. Is it tip #403 or a different one? I wish I could take one of their classes but I'm too far. Great job.

jdelectables Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 6:43pm
post #82 of 165

A402 or 403

liz at sugar Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 6:52pm
post #83 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdelectables 

Here is my take on these beautiful cakes. This is after two classes.
My take on white flower cake

Those are great!  And I love your color choices. :)

Liz

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 4:17am
post #84 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancylee61 

I don't know if I would pay for a tutorial from them. If you look closely at their cakes, the buttercream is often not smooth (I know many of you would see that!!) and the fondant strips are cracking. Maybe because they do a lot of cakes? I don't know - I do love the flowers, and I adore the colors they use, but their workmanship is not what I aspire to do, so I don't think I would spend the $$ on a craftsy tutorial. 

http://whiteflowercake.com/wp/gallery/classic/#

(Edited to add: I just saw their buttercream cakes start at $8 a slice!! At that price, my buttercream had better be smooth as glass and my fondant perfect. Wow!! Makes me evaluate what the public really wants.)

Just wanted to point out that the stripes on the cakes aren't fondant. Those vertical stripes are done in buttercream.  

The fondant cakes that are in the wedding cake gallery are just about flawless. The buttercream wedding cakes are also pretty amazing with scrolls and piping that has a signature style. Perhaps the cakes that are in the case for cash and carry have a less perfect finish than the wedding cakes that start at $6 or $5 a slice, but I'm sure that those pre made cakes are at a lower price.  I think that their business could be studied as a model on how to create a store front bakery with a strong branding and signature style that has following for occasion cakes as well as for milestone cakes (like those grand wedding cakes!)  

nancylee61 Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 8:22am
post #85 of 165

AThe stripes are buttercream? Wow! I don't even know how to do that! I did notice their wedding cakes were much cleaner, I thought I noted tha, but I must have just thought it!

Yes, great business model. My dream, except with my cappuccino machine hooked it for a sweet stuff coffee shop!

jdelectables Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 10:20am
post #86 of 165

AThey are artists. Their fondant cakes are definitely flawless and their buttercream piping is perfect. When u see one of their buttercream cakes, u know exactly where it came from. I have been to many bakeries, Carlos bakery, georgetown cc to name a few and white flower is my fav by far. Their products not only look great, they taste amazing.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 8:06pm
post #87 of 165

So their cakes are all Buttercream?  Swiss Meringue or Italian Merinue Buttercream? and no fondant.

jdelectables Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 8:10pm
post #88 of 165

Their cakes are swiss meringue.  They do some fondant cakes.

KittyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyCakes Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 8:41pm
post #89 of 165

I just noticed on their Facebook page that they are selling kits for $25. The do not do mail kits out.

AivaCake Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 9:36pm
post #90 of 165

hey jdelectables, I'll pay you extra to mail me one of their kits ;) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%