Ribbon On Cakes Absorbing Oil?

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 2 Jun 2012 , 12:21am by Jeep_girl816

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 7

How can I keep real ribbon from absorbing oil from the butter cream and changing colors?

6 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 7

As tedious as it may be the only way I've found is to cut a ribbon of wax paper to go between the cake and ribbon. I attach the ribbon to the wax paper in a few places with glue then wax paper to cake a small dot of either buttercream, royal or chocolate every several inches or so. It's works great and looks nice.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 7

Okay, thanks for the tip, Jeep_girl!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 7

Some people pre-grease the ribbon with shortening so there aren't uneven surprise stains later.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 7

Yep, just go with it. Spray it with Pam and you'll have no blotchiness.

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 12:02am
post #6 of 7

Someone told me to double the ribbon, and this is the method I have always used. It's simple, easy and fast and looks professional when the cake is taken apart to eat.

Good Luck !

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 12:21am
post #7 of 7

My problem with just greasing the ribbon is that I usually have the bride provide the ribbon and I don't want her wondering wtf happened to the ribbon, why isn't it the color darker than its supposed to be? Because in my experience, you never know what's going to get under these bride's skin, Kwim? Especially if it's a hard to match, funky color like David's Bridal colors. I prefer to do the bit of extra work with the wax paper and keep the colors true.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%