Fondant/gum Paste Help Please!

Decorating By JamAndButtercream Updated 31 May 2012 , 10:50pm by JamAndButtercream

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 31 May 2012 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone,

I recently read that if you add "Gum Tragacanth" to fondant it will strengthen the fondant and it will set hard for modelling like Gumpaste. So I've bought fondant and I've bought Gum Tragacanth, I need to make a small crown this weekend, so my questions are,

Has anyone else used this method?
Does the gum trag make the fondant set like gum paste?
What is the drying time? over night? a day? two days?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 31 May 2012 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 4

The Gum is a powder. You simply take a piece pf fondant. Dip it in the powder and then knead it together until the powder disappears.
Yes - the fondant will dry harder and is GREAT for sculpting characters.

DRying time really depends on the thickness of your sculpture. My little elmo was about 5 1/2 inches tall. He was dry enough to move around the next day. But I made him days before to assure his strength.

Also, plan for a dowel hole in the bottom of your sculptures. It's easy to put a little straw up from the bottom while it's still soft.
LL

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 31 May 2012 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 4

Hey Jam, I watched the vid on this yesterday on youtube. The instructor had a recipe for mexican paste, which is:

8 oz. confectioners sugar
3 teaspoons gum tragacanthe

add these 2 together

then add no more than 6 teaspoons of cold water, and mix with a fork, then turn out onto a board with some shortening on it, and sparsely apply shortening to your hands as well. Knead this till it becomes a dough, then seperate into smaller pieces, wrap those individually, and place into ziploc bag. Allow to set up at least 12 hours. Then roll out to desired thickness and do your thing.
He also stated that it will hold its shape alot more than fondant will.

Thought you would like this info.

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 31 May 2012 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your help and info Lynne3 and sfandm! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%