American Or Meringue Based Buttercream

Decorating By BrittneyErinCakes Updated 2 Jun 2012 , 2:09pm by costumeczar

BrittneyErinCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrittneyErinCakes Posted 30 May 2012 , 12:19am
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone I am in the process of opening up my own cake shoppe and was wondering if you all could give your thoughts and advice on the following....

Many people around here are not use to or do not like meringue based buttercream and prefer american style but i love love love meringue based buttercream. I wanted to keep my menu as simple as possible to make things easier on myself but am finding it hard to do so. For instance if i have specialty cakes in my cake case sutch as german chocolate cake filled with coconut pecan how do i decided witch style of buttercream (american)or(Meringue)to use with what cakes, or should i stick with one or the other or give the customers more of a choice?

i hope my question is wrote where you all understand.

thanks in advance
britt

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 9

The best advice is to know your customers and go w/what they like - will buy - the most.

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 9

I love Italian Buttercream (meringue based) and use it on some of my family cakes.
My cakes for customers are usually American Buttercream. The reason is that I can make it so much faster. Time is money and when I am busy, especially this time of year it works best for me. Another advantage is that the cakes do not have to be stored in the refridgerator. Wedding cakes can sit out all day without a problem as well. If a customer asks for Italian bc I use it, but for the most part they are happy with ABC. I think for me it is also a little easier to work with. I know this is not true for everyone. If my filling is perishable I can refridgerate otherwise, don't have to.

lovinspoonfull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinspoonfull Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 9

If you think that people in your area would prefer ABC, then that is what you should have available. Sometimes it is a matter of never having tried MBC, so maybe you might offer cupcakes with MBC. I would certainly offer MBC for special orders.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 9

Have both and if you want people to try the meringue ones make mini cup cakes and offer them as samples.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 1:18am
post #6 of 9

I usually use flavored meringue buttercreams for the fillings in the cakes, and the American for the outside. Most people here are used to the sweeter confectioner's sugar, but since I use butter in mine it tastes better than an all-shortening version. Then with the meringue on the inside it reduces the overall sweetness, so it works.

ilztar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilztar Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 1:56am
post #7 of 9

I've been frosting and decorating cakes for a number of years. I like ABC a lot espically when I make detailed decorations. While attending culinary school our chef taught us to use nothing but IBC. Though it has a very nice light taste, you can't use it to make roses or other decorations. Depending on what I am designing at the time, I will use both on a cake. Of course both having the same flavorings. I also offer both types to my customers. What it comes down to is this, you have to make what your customer likes and wants. There is no right or wrong when it comes to taste and frosting.

dandymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandymom Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 4:24am
post #8 of 9

I just started mixing the IMBC with the ABC. Buttery but not too buttery, sweet but not too sweet. I make batch of each and then gradually add the IMBC to the ABC. I had rave reviews on it last weekend.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandymom

I just started mixing the IMBC with the ABC. Buttery but not too buttery, sweet but not too sweet. I make batch of each and then gradually add the IMBC to the ABC. I had rave reviews on it last weekend.

I've done that before and it does work well, people like it and it's not too sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%