Antonia 74 Icing Question

Baking By meredith1851 Updated 28 May 2012 , 8:22pm by angsize68

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 28 May 2012 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 2

I will be making Antonia 74 later this week for a large cookie order and was wondering if there was a way to get it a bit shinier while still staying hard for packaging?

1 reply
angsize68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angsize68 Posted 28 May 2012 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 2

There are three ingredients that have been said to add that little bit of shine to royal icing when it dries. They arent meant to be added together into the icing, each one on its own in the icing is said to add that slight gleam.

I thought Id try each one individually and compare the results. I added 60 g of corn syrup to the royal icing recipe I use , 60 g of glycerin to another batch and 60 g of glucose to the last batch. Its the same measurement ratio as recommended in the Bonnie Gordon recipe, so I thought Id stick to a similar amount. If youve used more or less and have different results than Im about to share, (*Please excuse the spelling mistake in the following photos. Glycerine should say glycerin).

Sweet and simple apples piped with royal icing seemed to be the best bet to compare the shininess of the icings. Here they are just after the outlines have been flooded with the various batches.
********************************************************************************
This is the site that I got the info for you i think you should look at the pictures of her results she is very talented you will appreciate what i saw and you will see that she does..
http://sweetopia.net/2011/11/gluten-free-coconut-cupcakes-with-coconut-frosting-shiny-royal-icing/
********************************************************************************
Interestingly, when dry, the icing with nothing added to it (to help make it shine), looked like the icing which had the glucose and corn syrup added to it. The icing with the glycerin in it actually looked even duller, although when put in the sun, seemed to have extra sparkle. Overall, the added ingredients didnt really seem to make a difference in adding shine.

There are a few other options to consider if youd like your royal icing to have a little more shine. PME pearl lustre spray can be lightly sprayed on after the icing is dry.
Good Luck![/b]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%