Where To Buy Cake Decorators Alcohol/rose Spirit

Decorating By Kristy838383 Updated 19 Dec 2013 , 9:44pm by klan30

Kristy838383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy838383 Posted 28 May 2012 , 3:50am
post #1 of 16

I used some cake decorators alcohol mixed with luster dust to paint a cake during a recent class in Australia. I'm now back in the US and would like to recreate and try some new things with the same technique, but I usually order through GSA and they don't seem to have it.

Can anyone help with where I can buy this or if it goes by another name in the US?
It's a very high % alcohol that almost absorbs instantly when you paint it on.

Thanks in advance

15 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 28 May 2012 , 4:13am
post #2 of 16

You are looking for Isopropyl alcohol , the one we use is medical grade from memory.

Helen started calling it Rose spirit because of some labelling regulation . It is a seven chain alcohol so evaporates very quickly.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 28 May 2012 , 4:30am
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes

You are looking for Isopropyl alcohol , the one we use is medical grade from memory.

Helen started calling it Rose spirit because of some labelling regulation . It is a seven chain alcohol so evaporates very quickly.

That's rubbing alcohol which is not edible.

The strongest drinkable alcohol you can get is grain alcohol. There is a version called Everclear that is 95% alcohol. But in some states it's illegal and you will have to settle for the 75.5% kind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit

Chellescakes Posted 28 May 2012 , 4:44am
post #4 of 16

SoFloGuy there are different grades of Isopropyl, the one we use is not rubbing alcohol. I was answering as someone that knows the seller of this product personally. As well as someone that uses it. As do most cake decorators here.

SoFloGuy Posted 28 May 2012 , 4:52am
post #5 of 16
Quote:

SoFloGuy there are different grades of Isopropyl, the one we use is not rubbing alcohol. I was answering as someone that knows the seller of this product personally. As well as someone that uses it. As do most cake decorators here.

Okay I never heard of a different grade of it, all searches for Isopropyl alcohol say that it's rubbing alcohol only for topical application and it's poisonous to consume. Maybe you guys call it something different is AU.

Isopropyl alcohol (also isopropanol, propan-2-ol, 2-propanol, rubbing alcohol or the abbreviation IPA) is a common name for a chemical compound with the molecular formula C3Hicon_eek.gif. It is a colorless, flammable chemical compound with a strong odor.

If you want to put rubbing alcohol on a cake knock yourself out, it probably won't poison anyone since it's such a small amount and does evaporate, but let people know so they can buy their cakes somewhere else.

SoFloGuy Posted 28 May 2012 , 5:02am
post #6 of 16

http://www.taste.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=171602&sid=f97d26be41b95c24a1842e58d949ad92

this forum from AU talks about this subject and says:

"Decorating alcohol has 5 percent rose essence and is used for decorating and removing icing stains. Vodka can be used as a substitute. '

"I went to Cake Deco shop and the salesperson there told me their decorating alcohol is vodka so I guess cost wise, vodka would definitely be cheaper than paying $6 or $7 for a vanila sized bottle of decorating alcohol."

Vodka is a neutral grain spirit which is usually 40% alcohol. Like I mentioned before grain alcohol is stronger and should evaporate faster.

Chellescakes Posted 28 May 2012 , 9:11am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloGuy

If you want to put rubbing alcohol on a cake knock yourself out, it probably won't poison anyone since it's such a small amount and does evaporate, but let people know so they can buy their cakes somewhere else.

This was a very rude comment, I answered a question and you have gone on the attack. I use cake decorators alcohol that is purposely sold for cake decorators.
In another thread I see you claim to be a novice , a little respect for experienced decorators would go a long way. I would definitely think twice about sharing any tips or knowledge with such a rude individual.

SoFloGuy Posted 28 May 2012 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:

Quote:

This was a very rude comment, I answered a question and you have gone on the attack. I use cake decorators alcohol that is purposely sold for cake decorators.
In another thread I see you claim to be a novice , a little respect for experienced decorators would go a long way. I would definitely think twice about sharing any tips or knowledge with such a rude individual.

You gave what appeared to be very incorrect information about isopropyl alcohol and insisted it was correct. I won't respect information or techniques than may be harmful especially when there is a safe solution given. I'm willing to admit that I may have wrong information or terminology and am mistaken as long as you are willing to do the same.

Kristy838383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy838383 Posted 30 May 2012 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 16

Thank you everyone for your insight! Sorry things turned a little ugly, but I appreciate the help.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 30 May 2012 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 16

Sometimes, things can turn 360 degrees around here prety quickly.
I use regular cheap vodka. It evaporates pretty quick and leaves no taste. It dries even faster under a fan.

CakeMann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMann Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 16

Some states may not allow alcohol to be shipped? I buy cake decorations from Dessert Flair , don't know if they carry what you are looking for, good luck. icon_smile.gif

SoFloGuy Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMann

Some states may not allow alcohol to be shipped? I buy cake decorations from Dessert Flair , don't know if they carry what you are looking for, good luck. icon_smile.gif

I think the rule is that wine is allowed to by shipped but harder liquor isn't. I'm not even sure if retailers are allowed to ship it. I don't think the USPS allows it. I read that some people try to get around it by claiming that their liquor bottle is olive oil.

lezzers lushus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lezzers lushus Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 12:19am
post #13 of 16

Aive used isopropyl mixed with little water and food gel colours for my air brush everything been fine all my buyers are still alive lol

tomsann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsann Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 5:10am
post #14 of 16

Cake Decorators Rose Spirit — 95% Alcohol by volume

Contains 1% concentrated Rose Spirit and labelled as ‘Cake Decorators’ Rose Spirit’ to comply with Government Regulations.

50ml Maximum Size permitted for Retail Sale

Isopropyl alcohol  is toxic.....yes there are different grades:  medical, industrial, etc....Can you use it for what you are doing?  Sure, the alcohol evaporates.

But is it toxic.  Yes, don't drink it...I believe the lethal amount is about 8oz for the average adult...

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 7:21am
post #15 of 16

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You gave what appeared to be very incorrect information about isopropyl alcohol and insisted it was correct. I won't respect information or techniques than may be harmful especially when there is a safe solution given. I'm willing to admit that I may have wrong information or terminology and am mistaken as long as you are willing to do the same.

You are forming your opinion on your LOCAL knowledge - and you WERE very rude - you jumped in feet first and showed no respect at all - you didn't question the information - just stated is was wrong!!  It wasn't !!  and YES you are MISTAKEN

I too, am an Australian and know for a fact that the isopropyl alcohol we purchase here through the pharmacist IS what is deemed FOOD-GRADE...... NO you don't drink it - nobody suggested you do.   Its main purpose in cake decorating is as a medium to allow dusts to be applied to cakes in a liquid form where it will evaporate off quickly and leave the dusts on the surface.  It IS also used to clean stains from cakes, to thin down colours for painting etc.

In Australia - the rose spirit is only added to the isopropyl alcohol to allow it to be sold be cake decorating supply shops WITHOUT the need for them to go through all the government bureacracy associated with a LIQUOR licence.

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 9:43pm
post #16 of 16

I order my everclear on-line and have it shipped.  You must have someone over 21 to accept the package.  When you order make sure you get the higher alcohol version everclear makes 2.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%