How To Make The Hidden Flag Cake Posted In The Galleries?

Decorating By PattyDif Updated 28 May 2012 , 6:09pm by lilruby

PattyDif Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyDif Posted 27 May 2012 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 5

I saw this cake on Pinterest, then went to cake central. The author posted some helpful hints to make it but not the instructions. I know it's basically a yellow cake and buttercream icing but I am looking for more details on how to get the blue center. Anyone?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1703278/hidden-flag-cake

4 replies
mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 27 May 2012 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 5

I think when I did mine, I google it and found the instructions. I just didnt do as many layers as some. have. I think it looks better with more layers though.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 27 May 2012 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 5

I did a 6 inch blue velvet cake(3 inches tall) (pink velvet but used blue instead) and 12 inch strawberry cake with beet juice and red color. I layer the cake into 1/2 inch layers and a layer of whipped icing so it was not so sweet. I stacked it 3 inches tall and cut the center out and inserted the blue cake. I then did the bottom while the top was in the freezer to make it easier to transfer. I continued with the same layering process and stacked it all together. The top of the cake was blueberries and strawberries in a pretty pattern. It was similar to a berry shortcake.

My DD is trying one like this with the zebra stripe concept as a waving flag. She did the scoop of red then blue and inserted a 6 inch pan in one layer like a heating core and baked the blue cake at the same time. Smells good but not sure of the results yet.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 28 May 2012 , 7:21am
post #4 of 5

That cake is a great idea and it would make a great impression for a Federal Holiday in the US.

lilruby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilruby Posted 28 May 2012 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 5

I used a checker board cake separator when I did mine for the blue center section with red batter on the outside.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%