Need Edible Image Printing System

Decorating By sharonsamazingcakes Updated 8 Jul 2013 , 7:38am by GigiSweets

sharonsamazingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonsamazingcakes Posted 25 May 2012 , 11:58am
post #1 of 15

What do you think is the best edible image printing system currently available? I need to purchase one but there are so many options I am confused. I want a system that is user-friendly, gives good quality images and is economical as far as ink use is concerned. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

14 replies
dulce925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulce925 Posted 25 May 2012 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 15

Last year,I purchased the Canon Pixma MG5220 at Office Max,and got edible ink online. I love it!! It prints crystal clear images. I have a couple of cakes that you can check out. I hope this helps.Good luck.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 26 May 2012 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 15

Only go with Canon. DO NOT BUY EPSON. The printhead in the epson is not removable and so if you get a clog, then you are out the printer. It can be expensive and frustrating. Currently the MG 5320 is the most up to date model andis comparable the the MG5220 that was also listed. Choosing an edible company is a different company. THere are many different icing sheets out there. I can tell you about the three brands we sell. We have our house brand which is the least favorate, it is thinner and more prone to cracking, but some of our customers love it. IT is comparable to Kopykakes. Then we have our Lucks which everyone knows as Edible Images. Those are our second best seller. They have a border around the edge giving a smaller printable area then our most popular by far which is our Icing IMages PRemium brand. IT is a bit thicker and has edge to edge printing with execption of the leading printing edge. They feature our easy peal backing and taste great. Given that we sell three brands to satisfy the needs of all our customers, the Premium is 95% of our sales in icing sheets. Plus the icing sheets also come precolored. Customer service is very important as well. I always recommend that you call and talk to the company you want to work with prior to just ordering online. Anyone can put up a website and sell anything, but it is important that the company you are buying from is knowledgable, well established and not a fly by night company.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 May 2012 , 1:22am
post #4 of 15

I highly recommend the premium frosting sheets and gold label inks from icingimages. I've tried many brands and find theirs to be the best in my opinion. Their customer service can't be beat!

mncwhitely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mncwhitely Posted 27 May 2012 , 1:56am
post #5 of 15

I have an Epson printer and have not had a problem with it. My print head has been clogged before but was easily cleaned following the instructions in the manual. I think that maintenance is the key to which ever one you choose. You have to be sure to clean it regularly. I have also used the kopykake sheets without a problem. Nothing has ever cracked and my clients have always been happy with the end product.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 27 May 2012 , 2:22am
post #6 of 15

I love the premium sheets from Icing images too, but I am no longer willing to pay the $11 per box shipping. That makes it $39 a box icon_eek.gif I did see that if you buy 4-5 boxes at once, the shipping evens out to about $33 a box, but I don't know how long they are good for. I only use about a box every 3-4 months, so it would take over a year to use them all.

Last time I needed them, I got them from DecoPac, since they have free shipping for orders over $75, and $7 flat rate shipping for orders under $75. I did think they were flimsy and thin, and I even ripped a little piece off, but i stuck it back on, and it looked fine. But when I did a Zebra stripe edible image, I used some that I had already printed on the good ones, but needed a bit more, and the premium sheets and the junk from DecoPac matched perfectly! Yes, I prefer the premium, but I would also love to drive a Bentley! I will take what I can afford icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 May 2012 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 15

I've had problems with other brands not releasing from the backing or tearing and it isn't worth the frustration to me. When quoting a price build the cost into the price of the cake.

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 27 May 2012 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 15

"DITTO" what Tiggy2 said.

I won't use anythig else and I love IcingImages, they are great people, very friendly and helpful.

I have a Canon MG5220 and love it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 May 2012 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 15

Ditto to tiggy as well. And I have the canon ip3600

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 3:07am
post #10 of 15

Shipping prices have been really choking the industry. It is best when you purchase anything that ships to purchase as much as you can to even the costs out. The way shipping works with fedex and UPS and USPS is you pay a base fee just for shipping anything, no matter what it is, then they hike on costs for distance and weight. So when you are shipping one box of icing sheet, probably 60% of the cost is that flat fee then the rest is weight and distance. So when you add the second pack, you will see probably about $1 or 2 more. Keep in mind icing sheets are a few pounds per box plus the weight of what it is shipping in. Icing Sheets have a shelf life of 2 years from the date of manufacture and generally can last longer. All icing sheeets have an oder when they go bad or they dry out. We do our best to constantly negotiate with Fedex and we have the best fedex rep I think there is and he works hard trying to keep costs down as well. But remember, you do get what you pay for. While we work hard to keep costs down, we also do our best to provide the best possible quality in our products and we try to balance it all out to give you the best that we can. If someone is offering free shipping, there is a good chance you may not be getting the best possible deal/product. I hope this is able to help you understand a bit better and help you to plan better.

flower7779 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flower7779 Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 6:15am
post #11 of 15

Hi Dears: I would like to buy an Edible cake printer, but I am confused , I would like that somebody can helpe about this.

I was searching and I found KWIKSCAN EDIBLE PHOTO IMAGE PRINTING SYSTEM, It has only warranty for 2 months, I don't have experience. If somebody else can check this product, let me know if is a good product. The price is $479  plus.

Please, help me, because I need to find out if works in case I buy it, because it is a gift for my daughters and my family live oversea, but that reason I need to check it before.

Thank you so much. I hope any person can answer me. God bless you    [email protected]

Mrs_O Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs_O Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 1:27am
post #12 of 15

i also use the premium icing sheets and gold ink from icing images. i love their customer service anytime i have a problem. BUT i am also using the canon pixma mg5220 and have a lot of problems with the printer. most times getting it to recognize the cartridges is a huge nightmare and now i am looking into other options. i am assuming it is the printer. is there another canon printer that is more reliable? i print too many edible images at our shop to worry about whether or not its going to work. also, i really hate that the printer doesnt recognize when the ink is running out. is there any way to know if the ink needs to be re-filled before printing a page and wasting a sheet due to out of ink???

crystal18_corpus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystal18_corpus Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 2:19am
post #13 of 15

Icing Images girl here.. I use their gold inks and premium sheets no clogging and I get beautiul images.. My edible printer was the nest gift my husband ever got me... he got me a Cannon from office max and I purchased the inks and paper from icingimages.com   so easy to set the printer up with her instructions in the order...

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 2:24am
post #14 of 15

I am just a hobby decorator so I bought a Canon IP3600, which I thought was relatively cheap.  I love it. 

GigiSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GigiSweets Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 7:38am
post #15 of 15

what is the best or most favorite inks ,,,,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%