Joining Fondant Edges

Decorating By flywithgrace Updated 28 May 2012 , 6:12am by Chellescakes

flywithgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flywithgrace Posted 25 May 2012 , 11:00am
post #1 of 5

I am having a difficult time joining my fondant edges. I like to make cake fondant covered sculptures, but when I try joining the pieces I always get lines. I have tried to smooth them out with my fingers, fondant smoother, tried putting greese on my fingers, etc. Any info would be great.

4 replies
dec3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dec3 Posted 26 May 2012 , 3:13am
post #2 of 5

What are you trying make out of fondant?
Is is possible to make it, and then roll out the fondant and cover the entire thing and then just smooth it down? I have done this a few times with baby booties.
Otherwise, I wet my finger a little and smooth the lines out. It also could depend on what type of fondant you use.

flourishcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourishcakes Posted 28 May 2012 , 2:31am
post #3 of 5

in a small glass container add a small amount of the fondant that you are using and add a small amount of boiling hot water to make a glue like paste and use a paint brush and paint it over the seam.

best of luck.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 May 2012 , 4:52am
post #4 of 5

As a general rule, fondant seams will not be buffed out. Modeling chocolate will, you might look into that.

You can also caulk holes and seams with royal icing and a wet finger.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 28 May 2012 , 6:12am
post #5 of 5

if you use a sharp pair of scissors to cut the seam instead of a knife it will make it easier to make it seem less noticeable
I usually rub a seam with an icing sugar bag , that I make out of a piece of pantyhose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%