Any Ideas On How I Can Use Dress Design On Cake?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 29 May 2012 , 2:45pm by emilyg

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2012 , 7:41am
post #1 of 13

My friend wants me to incorporate the design on the front of her daughters dress onto the cake. First she told me the dress had a silver design on the front so I was hoping to use Sugarveil to make the pattern and spray it silver. The pictures she gave me don't look silver to me. I'm at a loss on the bead work because she doesn't want decorations on the cake that aren't edible. Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm at a loss on this one.

12 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2012 , 9:46am
post #2 of 13

Trying again to post photo.
LL

sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2012 , 9:53am
post #3 of 13

Second pic.
LL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2012 , 10:53am
post #4 of 13

That's an easy one! Vertical extruded strips of fondant in pink, then fill in with pink and white sparkling sugar or nonpareils.

sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2012 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 13

Leah any ideas for the pink and silver ruffles? I was wondering if there was a way to make gems and sequins from gelatin? I have seen flowers and butterflies made of gelatin. Thank you for your help.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 25 May 2012 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 13

For the pink and silver ruffles: Silver, create the ruffle in pale gray then dry dust Nu-Silver on it. For the Pink, make the ruffles in half fondant half gumpaste in hot pink then dust with hot pink shimmer dust.

lilruby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilruby Posted 26 May 2012 , 12:54am
post #7 of 13

Did you see the recent post on making gelatin bubbles? tiny balloons might work.

sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2012 , 7:14am
post #8 of 13

Has anyone seen this tutorial. Think I will give it a try. http://sarahmagidcakes.blogspot.com/2009/09/edible-sequins.html

sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2012 , 7:22am
post #9 of 13

I really like the idea of soft gems. Think I will test this out next week. I was thinking about using isomalt but I am afraid of someone choking or breaking a tooth because my friend doesn't want to take time to remove the gems before serving. http://cakecentral.com/tutorial/gelatin-gems

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 27 May 2012 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 13

You can buy edible sequins - silver, gold, probably also other colors and shapes. These are nut, GM, lactose free, kosher, suitable for vegetarians, made by Rainbow Dust UK. They really look like paillettes used on clothes. You can also make small lustre dusted fondant circles or half-pearls.
LL

sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2012 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you Paula. Can you tell me who makes them or where I can find them to purchase. The UK has wonderful cake decorating products.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 27 May 2012 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 13

They are made by Rainbow Dust. I've bought them on e-bay, they are quite tiny. You can find them here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=edible+silver+sequins&_sacat=0

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 29 May 2012 , 2:45pm
post #13 of 13

Sweettreat, this is a great project for SugarVeil. Cut the ruffles in spiral form from a circle of SugarVeil 'fabric'. You can then airbrush them a color, or mix luster dust with Everclear or other alcohol and paint onto the surface [of course, you can also mix color into the SugarVeil to make the pink fabric).

If you pipe a tiny "o" onto parchment, you can paint it (or use one of the pressurized cans of metallic spray to spray it), then place a sugar gem within the 'setting' and attach it to the dress fabric. Alternately, you can pipe a very fine ring of SugarVeil with a parchment cone (or a piping bag fitted with a very fine tip) directly onto the dress, then nest the stone within the ring and all will attach securely.

What an interesting project! Please let me know if the above is clear, or contact us at [email protected] if we can help you any further. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%