Covering A Cake Twice With Fondant

Decorating By lizziescakeshop Updated 24 May 2012 , 12:26am by Ashleyssweetdesigns

lizziescakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziescakeshop Posted 23 May 2012 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 5

hi all im really hoping someone can help me,i did my first covering of fondant and im not happy with it,but i cant take it off,as its one of thoses cakes that will rip aart from me taking the fondant off,i was wandering if i could fondant ice over the already iced cake,the first layer was not that thick,so if i did a thin layer maybe i would achieve a neater finnish,i iced the first layer earlier today,and the cake needs to be ready by tomorrow morning,can i ice again now or should i wait a few hours first...really hope someone can help icon_sad.gif

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 May 2012 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 5

Sure. Just roll it out and lay it on, being careful to smooth out all air bubbles.

Rae

lizziescakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziescakeshop Posted 23 May 2012 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 5

thanx for the reply,shall go ahead and give it a go x

michellew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellew Posted 24 May 2012 , 12:01am
post #4 of 5

i have done this a couple of time, but you are prone to getting bubbles, if you can prick them with a needle and fill the hole with a little royal icing,x

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 24 May 2012 , 12:26am
post #5 of 5

If your making this cake for someone other than yourself, you have to think of what there thought would be with a double layer of fondant (devil's advocate) Why not just take off the fondant, re-ice the cake let it set up and then re apply the fondant. If your afraid that when you take off the fondant the cake will rip then pop it in the fridge for a little while to harden up the fondant. Use an exacto knife to make slits in the fondant, don't just rip from anywhere give yourself a guide. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%