Decorating By t2dakwont Updated 23 May 2012 , 2:37am by srkmilklady

t2dakwont Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t2dakwont Posted 22 May 2012 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 9

Hi. I just thought I'd make a post saying "Hi" to everyone. I have been stalking this board for a while now. I got into cake decorating a couple of months ago through a Groupon-type thing, where I spent an hour with a lady who showed me how to make a flower out of gumpaste. From there, I went on to take Course 1 & Course 2 of the Wilton classes and now I'm patiently waiting for Course 3 to start.

In the meantime, I have learned so many new things. It's been quite fun. One thing I have to offer that I just stumbled upon was how to get sharp edges on an IMBC iced cake. I put on a crumbcoat and stick it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. I put another thick layer on and then take my smoother to smooth the top and sides, removing all of the excess. I then throw it back into the freezer for 5-10 minutes. I then take my scraper and apply pressure lightly and start smoothing again. It starts to look like ice sculpting, except with...well, cold butter, lol. It gets my edges so sharp and clean it's unbelievable.

I just learned how to do that so I had to share. I was frustrated at first because I love the taste of IMBC but hated that it didn't crust. I don't like the super sweet taste of ABC but loved how it could be smoothed. But, now that I know I can get razor sharp, clean edges w/o having to sacrifice taste, I'm a IMBC fan for life. icon_biggrin.gif

Tis all!

8 replies
srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 22 May 2012 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 9

Good for you! I've been decorating for a bit longer than you, but have just more recently gotten into using IMBC for most of my cakes and I have to say, I am a real fan too.

I love that it takes less time to make it (well, for me anyway) and I love the "not to sweet" taste also. And for me it is easier to get those sharp corners and edges also.

So yes, I am an IMBC fan too! icon_biggrin.gif

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 22 May 2012 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 9

OK, you have to spill... how does IMBC take less time for you than buttercream? what is your secret?

srkmilklady Posted 22 May 2012 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moovaughan

OK, you have to spill... how does IMBC take less time for you than buttercream? what is your secret?

I use Warren Brown's recipe and I found his tutorial on youtube. He explains the process very well and I find it simpler and faster. Maybe it's just me? Either way, I enjoy making it much more....no powdered sugar flying everywhere. I also use the pasteurized egg whites from the refrigerated section of the grocery store, so I just pour the required amount into a measuring cup...no cracking eggs and then trying to figure out what to do with the yolks.

My family's favorite is to flavor it with almond and I use the WASC cake recipe with it...yummy! My daughter was just recently married and the wedding cake in my gallery is that with the IMBC covered with fondant. Everyone loved the cake! I have used other flavors in the IMBC too.

My youngest daughter is getting married this year also, and she likes orange cake with Grand Marnier flavored IMBC...again, yummy!!

If you're interested, here is the link....

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 22 May 2012 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moovaughan

I use Warren Brown's recipe and I found his tutorial on youtube. He explains the process very well and I find it simpler and faster. Maybe it's just me? Either way, I enjoy making it much more....no powdered sugar flying everywhere. I also use the pasteurized egg whites from the refrigerated section of the grocery store, so I just pour the required amount into a measuring cup...no cracking eggs and then trying to figure out what to do with the yolks.

My family's favorite is to flavor it with almond and I use the WASC cake recipe with it...yummy! My daughter was just recently married and the wedding cake in my gallery is that with the IMBC covered with fondant. Everyone loved the cake! I have used other flavors in the IMBC too.

My youngest daughter is getting married this year also, and she likes orange cake with Grand Marnier flavored IMBC...again, yummy!!

If you're interested, here is the link....

Thank you!!!!! This just gave me the push I needed to give IMB a try. YAY!!! Thanks a million times over!!!!!

srkmilklady Posted 22 May 2012 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Thank you!!!!! This just gave me the push I needed to give IMB a try. YAY!!! Thanks a million times over!!!!!

You're welcome...and if I can help in any way, just ask! icon_smile.gif

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 23 May 2012 , 2:12am
post #7 of 9

Will try yo method. Thanx.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 23 May 2012 , 2:30am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

Quote:

You're welcome...and if I can help in any way, just ask! icon_smile.gif

Thank you!!! I just might take you up on that next week if I fail misrably. I will be making a cake for my anniversary and my best friend's, we are gonna celebrate on a double date. So I like to use my cakes as my testing zone!!!! My poor husband, he never gets what he wants, but what I want to try!!!!

srkmilklady Posted 23 May 2012 , 2:37am
post #9 of 9
Quote:

Thank you!!! I just might take you up on that next week if I fail misrably. I will be making a cake for my anniversary and my best friend's, we are gonna celebrate on a double date. So I like to use my cakes as my testing zone!!!! My poor husband, he never gets what he wants, but what I want to try!!!!

Well happy anniversary to you next week! My husband and I celebrated our 41st anniversary today, but I spared him having to eat cake this year! He's lucky I'm dieting! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%