How Well Do Cut Out Sugar Cookies Freeze?

Baking By colleenb2009 Updated 31 May 2012 , 3:00am by sugarkissed_net

colleenb2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colleenb2009 Posted 22 May 2012 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 11

After baking them, is it okay to freeze them for a day or two before icing them? Will they dry out or become stale?

10 replies
mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 11

colleen2009 I baked 180 cookies and put them in the freezer with no problem. They will be fine

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 11

I often do this and don't find them any different.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 11

I just did this with the NFSC, even after I had covered them in fondant. They tasted as if they never touched the freezer.

colleenb2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colleenb2009 Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 11

What is the best way to freeze? Ziploc baggie? Air tight container?

mom2twogrlz Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 11

I layered mine in a tupperware container with parchment between the layers, then covered it with saran wrap, then the lid. But I would think they would be fine in a Ziplock baggie, as long as you can protect against breakage. That is what I was worried about, so I used the plastic container too.

Annie70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie70 Posted 22 May 2012 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 11

So do you let the cookie get back to room temperature before you frost it?? Also do you leave them in the container until the are thawed with the lid on??

mom2twogrlz Posted 22 May 2012 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 11

Mine were already decorated with fondant, but I would think you let it get back to room temp, which happens really fast, then frost. I took mine out and let them thaw on thr counter, but that is just because I was worried about moisture on the fondant. I am not sure what others do, maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck, but I think either way would be fine.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 22 May 2012 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Mine were already decorated with fondant, but I would think you let it get back to room temp, which happens really fast, then frost. I took mine out and let them thaw on thr counter, but that is just because I was worried about moisture on the fondant. I am not sure what others do, maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck, but I think either way would be fine.

That`s just what I did also, Cuz mine had fondant on them to

blueskies4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskies4444 Posted 23 May 2012 , 4:16am
post #10 of 11

most cookie decoraters I've seen recommend letting them come to room temperature in the container they were frozen in. Only pull them out once they are thawed. These people decorate with royal icing.

sugarkissed_net Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarkissed_net Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:00am
post #11 of 11

Absolutely! Just seal them up airtight before freezing. When thawing, leave them sealed up until they are at room temperature.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%