Home Kitchen Ideas/pictures For Licensed Bakers

Business By cakertainment Updated 3 Jun 2012 , 6:39am by scp1127

cakertainment Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakertainment Posted 21 May 2012 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 15

Hi....thanks for reading. I currently rent space and I am apart of a "one stop wedding and event shop." We do not have a commercial kitchen there (mainly used to sell cupcakes out of and have consultations) so I am looking to rennovate a small space in my basement and have my own "commercial" kitchen. Does anyone have pictures they can share of their home kitchens? Any ideas? I have tried searching and can't find too much. I am curious how others set there work space up. Thanks so much for your help!

Amy

14 replies
HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 29 May 2012 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 15

I would love to hear any input on this topic as well. I'm getting ready to put a 2nd kitchen in my basement for my business...Don't know where to start!

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 29 May 2012 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 15

This is my 200 sq foot attached home kitchen. I'll try to upload pics!
Sara
LL
LL
LL

fedra Posted 29 May 2012 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 15

Have to split pics between posts, sorry!
LL
LL
LL

fedra Posted 29 May 2012 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 15

more pics!
LL
LL
LL

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 30 May 2012 , 2:30am
post #6 of 15

I started with our state department of Agriculture to get a list of what's required & built around that! How exciting for you!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 May 2012 , 8:17am
post #7 of 15

Mine are on my site. I think they are in the "about us" section. It only shows the kitchen. We also have a large consultation area and a room to display all serving pieces.

kycraftycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kycraftycakes Posted 30 May 2012 , 11:41am
post #8 of 15

Thanks so much for posting this question. I am a stay at home mom who has just started decorating for fun, but it seems the word has spread and I am getting all kinds of request for cakes that I have turned down because I do not have a business. Because of these request I decided to look further into the whole business aspect and found all the requirements at our local health department. We have a basement that is unfinished and I started fishing around on the web for pictures of a home kitchen and found very little. The kitchen pictures posted here were alot of help in giving me an idea of what I would expect to spend and how it would look if I decided to pursue the business aspect of cake decorating. Thanks so much for posting the pictures. Now if I could make up my mind about the business. I really love decorating and coming up with ideas for cakes ( my imagination has been running wild since the first cake in April). I am afraid that doing it for profit would take the fun out of it and make it a stressful chore instead of a relaxing, therapuetic and creative outlet that it is for me. If anyone has any advice on how their business has impacted their love of cakes and decorating I would love to read them. Thanks and God Bless to all.

HannahsMomi Posted 31 May 2012 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 15

I love seeing these pictures!! It will really help in planning my kitchen! Thanks!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 31 May 2012 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 15

See this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-729900-0.html
I think you have to sign into Facebook to see the pix.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 12:58am
post #11 of 15

Kycraftycakes,

I am a SAHM too & legally opened my business a little over a year ago. I put a kitchen in our basement but spent almost $20,000 converting it & was only able to because it already had a separate entrance. Just a heads up!

I have to watch that I don't overextend myself, especially this summer with my oldest home from school, because the "have to" does tend to take the fun out of decorating! Finding a balance between family & cakes is very hard but crucial!

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 4:53am
post #12 of 15

I am also going through this process right now - and had no idea where to start. My room is finished and I am just waiting on the plumbing to be finished and I have to order some stainless steel tables yet. I will be posting pics. soon and I'll let you know on this thread when I do. I was going to take a room in my house upstairs and convert it - but after thinking it through (and promising my husband to build a new garage in the near future) I converted half of our garage into my bakery. It is approx. 12x24 and I CAN'T wait until it's done!
There is not much out there on the internet at all for specifics and certainly not pictures - I contacted my local Health Department to see the basic needs of what I had to do - they should be able to give you the guide lines for your County.

HannahsMomi Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 1:39pm
post #13 of 15

I'm also clueless as to how to design my basement cake kitchen! I don't know where to begin. That's why I'm loving looking at all of these pictures. It gives me an idea of what I need to do! We actually are moving into our new basement house next weekend and once we get settled renovations will begin! I can't believe it's actually happening. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right! I've already been speaking with the Health Department...I have a feeling they are going to become my best (or worst) friends over the next few months...

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 4:26pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedra

This is my 200 sq foot attached home kitchen. I'll try to upload pics!
Sara

That looks really great.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 6:39am
post #15 of 15

To those of you trying to plan, a plumber, electrician, or general contractor will be able to look at your space and in minutes, give you the most cost-effective layout. You can plan, but with 220 cable at $8.00/ft, and flow of drains, pumps, and grease traps, these pros will give you the best plan for the least cash outlay. They are also knowledgeable on the commercial code and HD codes, plus they have knowledge of a good working layout.

So get an estimate and ask for their opinion. The difference in your dream idea and the reality of what works could easily be as high as $20K or more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%