A Cake For A Customer Who DoesnT Like Cake!

Decorating By Crazy-Gray Updated 21 May 2012 , 4:14pm by cms2

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 21 May 2012 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

Ok I just received an email asking if Ill consider making a carved spanial (dog) cake for a family of non-sweet-tooths.... I am suuuuuch a sweet tooth I can hardly imagine what might work!
Anybody any ideas for a savery carvable something? ...My only thoughts at this moment are perhapse an olive bread (dense & flavourful) with a roasted red pepper or sundried tomato creame-cheese filling and, cream-chese piped over for fur but Ive no idea how this would hold up in terms of crusting/ airbrushing/ allowable time for decorating (id probably allow 4 evenings do do this with cake)........... plus a lot I probably havent considered!
Any thoghts at all are most welcome!

5 replies
cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 21 May 2012 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 6

Are you sure they are looking for something savory? I would not assume ( and honestly be afraid to assume) that if they only said they were not big sweets fans. I think you need to ask for clarification from the customer as to what exactly they want. They may just want something that's not sickeningly sweet. Please go back and ask. Why would they come to a cake maker for something other than cake? Whatever you decide to do make sure they agree to it. I would hate to see you make one thing and they were expecting another.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 May 2012 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 6

I would go back and ask. They probably mean: not too sweet fillings, not too sweet frosting, etc. If they had wanted bread, they would have specifically said that to you.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 21 May 2012 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 6

Sorry I should have worded my first post better- the request was specifically: "Only a very small cake, savoury if possible as we are not sweet-toothed but would like to mark the occasion"
...stumped!
This is just an enquiry at the moment and no deposits paid but I'm intrigued now! at least of course I've the 'option' of cake icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 May 2012 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 6

Then maybe you could look into the savory Italian cakes. Like this one, recipe in English at the bottom. I know there are others, I've made them. I'm just away from my Italian cake books since they're not on my iPad, so I can't look.

http://www.ildiariogastronomico.com/2011/06/tortino-salato-con-pomodorini-e-olive.html

They're better, because they're not bread, they're cake. Not sure if they like olives and tomatoes, though. I've made a different one, a corn cake with olive oil and flour that it's also not sweet at all.

cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 21 May 2012 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 6

I would be lost. I only do sweet stuff!

I personally would not feel comfortable stepping out of my comfort zone and trying to create something savory for these folks. What if it's a flop? Then what? You're going to be working with mediums you haven't experimented with. And to decorate it and have it look good?

If you do decide to do this with savory goods, make sure you charge enough so you can do a trial run. They shouldn't have a problem paying because there is nowhere else they can go and get a bread and cream cheese shaped dog! And make sure you tell them what you are making 'cause then you just might find out that they don't like olives or cream cheese. (I don't like either.) Or once they get the price they might decide that sweets are ok with them afterall.

And I would try to talk them into a 2D version of this dog. WAY much easier to execute.

Please post back here. I'd love to see the finished product!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%