Pricing

Decorating By marya92 Updated 19 May 2012 , 3:18am by sillywabbitz

marya92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marya92 Posted 19 May 2012 , 1:58am
post #1 of 3

I'm starting out a side business and am having trouble figuring out what to charge clients. I make my buttercream and cake from scratch. I'd like some feedback on how you determine what to charge for different sized cakes. Thanks in advance for your help!

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 May 2012 , 2:26am
post #2 of 3

You can start out by figuring out what your cost is for a specific product, such as a tiered cake that serves 100 people. This cost will include your ingredients, your labor (hourly wage * time spent with prep, baking, decorating, and cleanup), and a portion of annual overhead costs. Then add a profit margin and see what you come up for a price. Once you have this price you need to look at your local market to see if it makes sense.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 19 May 2012 , 3:18am
post #3 of 3

If you're going to start charging you should really look into the Cake Boss software. It truly clarifies your cost, time etc and helps you determine what you should be charging. It's $150 but CC members get 10%. It sounds like a lot of money when your starting out but getting your pricing right from the beginning is essential! Also it does order management, invoices, shopping lists...it's awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%