I Just Want To Know...if You Would Like To Share

Baking By sfandm Updated 19 May 2012 , 5:20pm by sfandm

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 19 May 2012 , 12:25am
post #1 of 8

I recently read that the coffee liqeur flavorings, (liquid, of course) can be used to flavor a basic white cake recipe. Has anyone done this? If so, I am assuming that there is a certain amount that should be used for the right flavor. Can anyone share with me if you have, and the amounts used. There are ALOT of flavors out there, and I know they taste better than any oil on the market. And I think I am also correct that I would substitute the flavor for some of the milk or other liquid ingredient used.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sonya

7 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 May 2012 , 9:54am
post #2 of 8

Do you mean like Torani or DaVinci brand syrups? I have used them in my cakes for oddball flavors. I just add them to my already completed (scratch) white cake batter and then use them again in the simple syrup to boost the flavor. Can't tell you how much, though, as I don't know exactly.... just "enough" icon_smile.gif (more than an extract, far less than all the water in the recipe)

sfandm Posted 19 May 2012 , 11:44am
post #3 of 8

Yes, both of the ones you have mentioned, I found them on a wholesale site in the Cupcake Supplies section, funny that they were listed there, but I got to thinking that they should work really well, will probably have to sub 1/4 cup of flavor for 1/4 cup of milk in my recipe. I have the Vanilla I already use in my coffee, so I will try it today. I just thought it was pretty cool, and so much more flavor than those little bottles of flavoring. Thanks for your input.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 19 May 2012 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 8

FYI - If you use a lot of the syrups, Starbucks sells theirs for about $7.50 a liter bottle. You just have to ask at the counter or go to their website.

sfandm Posted 19 May 2012 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks MKK, I found both kinds listed above for about $5 per litre, and there are over 60 flavors on the website.

I will look at the Starbucks site too, I love their Fraps.

Thanks again.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 19 May 2012 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 8

great info sfandm, would you share where you found them for that price?

Thank you

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 May 2012 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 8

I get mine from my local wholesaler for around $4.50 per 25oz bottle (you can see their prices at www.linfordofalaska.com). Ask any local coffee shop where they get theirs and follow the trail icon_smile.gif

sfandm Posted 19 May 2012 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 8

LadiJ153, I saw them on webrestaurantstore.com, there is a Cupcake Section toward the bottom left, click on the button, and you will see them on the page that comes up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%