Silhouette Cameo - Do I Have To Print First?

Decorating By apesusi Updated 3 Jun 2013 , 5:28pm by SugarRush239

apesusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apesusi Posted 16 May 2012 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 3

I'm thinking about getting the Silhouette Cameo, but I don't have an edible printer. Do I need to print the image first before it will cut it out, or can I still cut out shapes without printing a picture first? I guess I'm a little confused.

2 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 17 May 2012 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 3

The cameo will cut any lines you designate as cutting lines. You can use already printed icing sheets, such as Lucks:

https://secure.lucks.com/bpcsom/nxcsc.nsf/ListProducts?openagent&ListMenuEntry=9A0E2CDD65ECCF198825748700796DAC&MenuEntry=9A0E2CDD65ECCF198825748700796DAC&SID=8E6DAE573FFF2A2288257A0100585771

You may cut these in any desired shape, circles, squares, whatever.

However, if you want a specific design, then you would need to print it on icing sheets with an edible image printer. The cameo uses registration marks that are also printed on your icing sheet. It reads those marks and cuts out the image exactly.

Right now, I have to get ready for an appointment, later, I will make up a sheet and post a couple of pics to show you how this works..

SugarRush239 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarRush239 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 3

Hi everyone! I'm new to the edible imaging stuff so I do have a few questions. Do you have to print out every image so that the silhouette cuts it? I thought you could design your own image and then have the machine cut it out. I thought that's what made the silhouette better than the cricut. I read that the cricut you had to buy the cartridges which made it more expensive. What's the difference if I would still have to buy ink for the printer in order to use the silhouette? Thanks! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%