To Strain Or Not To Strain

Baking By ANDaniels Updated 17 May 2012 , 2:19pm by scp1127

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 16 May 2012 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a raspberry filling for a chocolate cake... the recipe for the raspberry filling says nothing about straining, however it uses frozen whole raspberries... so do I leave the seeds or strain them out? Wouldn't it have a bit of a crunch if I left them?

6 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:08am
post #2 of 7

The recipe I use does not require straining, but i do it. I just don't think filling should have seeds no matter how soft they get.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:24am
post #3 of 7

I am making a raspberry lemonade cake for a big event and have made at least a dozen practice cakes. (It's for love, not money). My favorite raspberry filling is made with frozen raspberries, and is strained. It doesn't matter if a few seeds get through, but I don't like the texture as well with all the seeds left in.

ANDaniels Posted 17 May 2012 , 4:20am
post #4 of 7

Thanks ladies icon_smile.gif I asked my husband to taste it with some scrap cake and he said he didn't feel the seeds per say... next time though I will strain icon_sad.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 May 2012 , 10:17am
post #5 of 7

Minority again... I love the seeds. I can't really feel it in the final product, but I like the look.

ANDaniels Posted 17 May 2012 , 11:10am
post #6 of 7

YEA SCP! lol.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 7

I'm actually making some this exact minute for a cookie buffet. I am making brownie cheesecake bars and the puree will be ribboned through the top of the cheesecake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%