Help With First Wedding Cake!!!

Decorating By mel5512 Updated 17 May 2012 , 10:57am by mel5512

mel5512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mel5512 Posted 16 May 2012 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing my first wedding/cupcake order and I need to know how far in advance to ice the cake and cupcakes...its NOT going to be covered in fondant...THANK YOU!.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 May 2012 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 5

It depends on how good/fast of a decorator you are icon_smile.gif Many decorators bake cakes early in the week - some as early as Tues for Sat delivery. Others bake on Thurs, ice & decorate on Fri for Sat a.m. delivery/pick up. Cuppies are a different matter. Those should be done as close to delivery as possible. You may want to bake and decorate the cake as early as Wed or Thrus, then do the cuppies either late Fri or even early Sat a.m. - depending on the time they are due.
A lot will also depend on the weather. Is it hot & humid where you are? Do you have refrigeration to keep the cake until pickup? If your kitchen/shop is cool it can be held at room temp. Yes, I cold cake travels best so you still might want to consider frig'ing it at least overnight.

mel5512 Posted 16 May 2012 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 5

@kakeladi, I live in Georgia so it is usually humid. I was planning on icing it the cake the night before and putting in my refrigerator..... do you think it will sweat? Thanks about the tip of icing cupcakes the day of, I have my sister's help so we could ice the cuppies in about 30 minutes...
Also, the cake is two tears and the design is just a huge white peony with the bottom petals flowing down the side of the cake....would those be ok to stick on the night before too?

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 17 May 2012 , 4:21am
post #4 of 5

I wouldn't put the gumpaste flower in the fridge with the cake as there have been instances where the gumpaste accents begin to wilt as the cake comes to room temp. I would refrigerate the cake the night before, bring it to room temp and then add the gumpaste flower. Better safe than sorry.

mel5512 Posted 17 May 2012 , 10:57am
post #5 of 5

Thanks vgcea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%