Color Candy Melts Eggplant? Help!!

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 15 May 2012 , 11:33pm by SugarMama5

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 15 May 2012 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 8

I have someone who want to have eggplant (dark purple) cake pops. Any tips on how to color the candy melts properly??

Thanks!

7 replies
ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 15 May 2012 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama5

I have someone who want to have eggplant (dark purple) cake pops. Any tips on how to color the candy melts properly??

Thanks!

I have seen some candy melts that are a purple color. Not a light purple but I'm not sure if it is as dark as you are looking for. I saw them at Hobby Lobby so you could check their site and see the color online. I have heard that you should not use regular food colors since they are water based.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 15 May 2012 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 8

Get the Make N Mold colors for candy melts (usually located right next to the candy melts) - they're specifically made for them. I would start with the purple candy melts and add a little red and a touch of black. HTH

SugarMama5 Posted 15 May 2012 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Get the Make N Mold colors for candy melts (usually located right next to the candy melts) - they're specifically made for them. I would start with the purple candy melts and add a little red and a touch of black. HTH

What store do you get them from? (make n mold colors) I'm in Canada & there's no Hobby Lobby here. Are the Make n Mold colors the same as the wilton candy color paste?

Good idea about the red and black, btw, I bet that would work...

jgifford Posted 15 May 2012 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 8

I'm sorry - I honestly don't know about the Wilton colors. If they're oil-based, then they'll be fine. I get the Make N Mold colors at Hobby Lobby or Michael's - you should be able to get them on-line.

Actually, if you use Americolor or the Wilton colors, you'd be fine - - just add a little shortening or oil to the melted candy melts so they don't seize up on you.

SugarMama5 Posted 15 May 2012 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 8

I'm going to Michaels tonight, I'll see what they have there!

I just found this online... kinda neat, they broke down different shades of different colors and what to add to make them.

http://www.wikihow.com/Mix-Colors

jgifford Posted 15 May 2012 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama5

I'm going to Michaels tonight, I'll see what they have there!

I just found this online... kinda neat, they broke down different shades of different colors and what to add to make them.

http://www.wikihow.com/Mix-Colors

What an idea! I never would have thought of green.

SugarMama5 Posted 15 May 2012 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 8

I know!!! I never in a million years would have thought of that either!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%