Sps Question - Increasing Cake Sizes???

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 16 May 2012 , 2:55am by sillywabbitz

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 15 May 2012 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, late last night I finally finished figuring the sizes of each gift cake so I could get any sps plates I needed ordered so I got them in time. I decided to go with the sizes that were shown in the pic that the customer showed me since it seemed to be pretty balanced. And the remainder of servings will come from a kitchen cake(s).

Now that I'm looking at it closer, I'm thinking that I may be able to avoid making a 2nd kitchen cake if I just make the gift cakes slightly larger - like the base from and 8x12 to a 9x12, and 8x8 layer into a 9x9 layer, etc. Only I just ordered plates to fit the original sizes. Is it "safe" to use an 8x8 plate for a 9x9 cake? Would an inch around be ok? I will make sure that the cake is on a very stiff board. I just need to get 25 more servings out of this show cake.... or should I just play it safe and make the extra kitchen cake?

I'm torn... I'd kinda like to make this lemon cake for the smaller kitchen cake, but it might make life easier if I didn't have to. (I basically have free reign to do what I wish with this - it's a gift for good friends)

4 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 15 May 2012 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 5

If you use a stiff board I think you'll be ok. It will in reality be only a half inch around...half inch on either side.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 May 2012 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 5

There will be no problem if you do as suggested - put each cake on a good strong board the exact size of the cakes.
You can cut down sheet cake boards OR use foamcore.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 15 May 2012 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 May 2012 , 2:55am
post #5 of 5

I've done this with a two inch difference and used double boards and had no problems at all. As always just make sure they deconstruct the cake before they cut it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%