Edible Ink Printers

Decorating By chefLinds Updated 19 May 2012 , 1:13am by BakingIrene

chefLinds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefLinds Posted 15 May 2012 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have recommendations on which edible ink printers they think are best? If I'm making the investment I would rather just get a large format printer that was capable of more than 8 x 11, which narrows down the field some I know. Any advice or words of wisdom from people who've dealt with working with these printers, I would love to hear what you have to say.

(And, yes, before anyone says anything I do already realize that I am looking into regular printers and then putting the edible ink in. I just want more feedback from people who've used those printers as more than what they're originally sold as!)

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 May 2012 , 2:32am
post #2 of 4

The problem is the ink.

The smaller printers that use 4 colours are the only ones for which I can find edible ink. The larger bed printers usually require 6 or 8 colours and you can't just skip some cartridges. If you install blank cartridges you still can't print.

I have used Epson photo printers at work for many years without trouble. This includes the continuous ink systems--a consideration if you are doing bulk food printing. Buy the reservoirs on Ebay. Check out the large volume waste ink bottle too (for ink wasted in priming). AND a print-counter-reset CD...

But remember that you must NEVER use the regular ink if you want to print with food colours...sell the OEM cartridges to somebody else and never install them. That is 90% of the cost of the 8 x 11 printer anyway.

It is economical to refill the cartridges with edible ink yourself, if you are careful with the pressure on the syringe.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 May 2012 , 4:18am
post #3 of 4

icingimages.com carries a large format printer. I have been drooling over it but been making due with the standard one (canon ip3600) that I have (and love - except for the standard size).

How about you buy the big one and tell me how it goes?? icon_biggrin.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 19 May 2012 , 1:13am
post #4 of 4

Any printer that does 8.5x11 will also do 8.5x14. Set up for longer paper in print options.

Printing the wide format sheets also means that you invest in them and use them regularly. Lots of $$$...

I see that icingimages has customized an Epson wide format to use just the four inks. That means that it will be reliable. Just remember that printing wide images is a SSSLLLOOOOWWWW process.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%