Nicholas Lodge Gumpaste Recipe Anyone...????

Decorating By Jody130 Updated 8 Oct 2015 , 10:35pm by maybenot

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 14 May 2012 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 43

Hi,
Just checking to see if any of you use Nicholas Lodge Gumpaste Recipe?? I made a batch Friday night and place in the fridge like it said for 24 hours, I pulled out yesturday morning to let come to room temperature, and worked with it a little yesturday afternoon, it feels quite different that say Wilton's Gumpaste, its fluffier or something, I am wondering if this is normal and if my decorations will dry as hard??
Any advice will be appreciated.
Or if anyone has another recipe for gumpaste, I have alot of flower work coming up and was trying to make my own.

42 replies
unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 14 May 2012 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 43

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I am considering making some!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 14 May 2012 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 43

I've used Nick Lodge's gumpaste recipe for so long now that I can't remember the comparison to Wilton's. Prior to that, I used Scott Woolley's recipe, but much I prefer Lodge's.
I remove it from the fridge and with a little Crisco on my fingers, work a small portion of it until malleable. It is extremely easy to work with, you can form even the thinnest of petals and it dries rock hard. I absolutely love it and would never buy commercial again. It also freezes well and I keep several batches-well wrapped- in the freezer.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 14 May 2012 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 43

Could you post the recipe? I am now interested?

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 14 May 2012 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 43

Here you go:

Nick Lodges Tylose Gumpaste

Tylose is an alternative product to use in making gumpaste instead of gum tragacanth. The advantage of the Tylose is that the paste is less expensive,, easier to make, holds up better in humidity and is whiter in color.
The following recipe will make approximately 2 pounds of gumpaste.

4 - Large Egg Whites

1 - 2 lb. bag 10x powdered sugar
11 - Level teaspoons Tylose

4 - Teaspoons shortening (Crisco)

Instructions removed by Mod for copyright.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 14 May 2012 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 43

I have used Nicholas Lodge's recipe and I recently found a YouTube video from Linda McClure for her Gumpaste recipe. I believe I like her recipe better. It is really easy to work with and it seems to come back better if you have to rework anything. If it has a dry tendency from overworking it smooths right out with just a little extra kneading. I am currently using it to make Gerbera Daisies for a wedding cake I have due on July 1.

Do a search on You Tube for Gumpaste recipe and one of her (deseretdesigns1) videos should come up. The gumpaste has, I believe, 3 videos in the Series.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 14 May 2012 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 43

Yes, it has a sponge-ier texture then commercial brands. But it is far superior to any commercial brand you will find.

basketpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basketpam Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 43

I have been reading wonderful acolaides for the gumpaste recipe by Nicholas Lodge and want to try making a batch but I have one hesitation with the recipe. If you follow his recipe you end up with a product that is using raw egg and while I didn't use to have an issue with this, I do now after learning several years ago about the death of someone from samonella due to raw egg whites. And in my opinion, if this man who died can get ill from this then ANYONE is vunerable. The person whose death I know about was a hardened, lifelong toughened old country farmer who had spent all his days around his livestock, chickens and eggs. Over the years he had been exposed to numerous contaminants and bacteria without any problems. He had built an immunity to almost anything you could imagine being around a farmyard. But, one day he became slightly ill and no one thought much about it. No one ever considered something like salmonella so by the time he was seriously ill and was taken to the hospital it was a very advanced case. They were unable to save him and he died. The only thing the family has been able to work out is one day he had a broken egg in the kitchen. After he cleaned away the broken egg he didn't properly wash the area or the items he used and somehow caught the salmonella from one or several of the items in the kitchen. I always shrugged off such things as salmonella having also been around farm fresh eggs grown by family members. In my life I had never seen a "bad" egg spoken of so often by professional chefs let alone considered the possibility of Salmonella. I had licked the bowl and beaters of more cakes and other baked goods than I could possibly remember in my childhood without an ounce of trouble.  This brings us back to the raw egg whites used in this recipe. Unless I'm missing it somewhere I don't see any place where these egg whites are heated or cooked and this gumpaste is used to decorate the cake AFTER it's been baked so I don't see any way to get around the fact you're not only handling and working with the raw eggs but you're serving it to individuals on the cake. I know people are using them for decorations but people, especially children, DO at times eat these decorations and they are in contact with the rest of the cake. What does everyone else do about this situation with the egg whites?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 43

Use pastuerized egg whites you van get them at the supermarket.

That gumpaste recipe is an old traditional one, we used to use it in pastry school. It's nice to work with but I think it dries to a really brittle finish so I use a different one. It's definitely different than Wilton's, it's better!icon_biggrin.gif

the_sweets_lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the_sweets_lady Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 3:30am
post #10 of 43

I have been wanting to try this recipe for awhile now! Thanks for posting Milkmaid24!

horsecrazy247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
horsecrazy247 Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 43

i am going to try this have what i need for the one scott clark wooly dose but seems more to it then this one dose

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 4:05am
post #12 of 43

I have made gumpaste following his basic recipe *except* I use royal icing instead of using the first 6 steps in the above recipe. 

I was teaching Wilton and in course 2, I believe, I had to demo making royal icing using Wilton's meringue powder.  I almost *never!* use royal and got tired of throwing it out.  I needed some gumpaste and had that royal.  If you study the recipe as printed you will see that the first 6 steps is nothing more than m aking royal icing :)

So the next day I used the royal icing I had made in class and just added the Tylose to it and I hade perfect gumpaste.

Plus over the yrs I got to where I seldom let it 'ripen' in the firg for that 24 hrs - often used it right away.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 4:45am
post #13 of 43

I love Nick's recipe.  I use it all the time.  I do put a little less sugar in than it calls for.  Also, I add the crisco at the end of the beating cycle.  MUCH easier than kneading it in.  Add the sugar SLOWLY.... then you won't get lumps.

Jen :-)

Lisch52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisch52 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 43

The company that Nicholas Lodge buys his commercial gum paste from (Albert Uster) has Nick's recipe in US measurements in PDF format. It calls for 12 tsp. of Tylose. Most of the other recipes for gum paste call for 11 tsp. Has anyone made this gum paste with the 12 tsp?

Marjie

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 5 May 2013 , 11:21am
post #15 of 43

AHi, Is 10 times powdered sugar the same as confectioner's sugar? Thanks, I feel like a dolt, I should know this, but don't. Nancy

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 5 May 2013 , 11:26pm
post #16 of 43

10 X means how many times the powdered sugar was sifted.  It is a finer, silkier sugar.  Many sugars are 6X, meaning 6 times sifted.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 6 May 2013 , 12:47am
post #17 of 43

AAh, thank you! So if I get regular confectioners sugar, should I sift it more? Nancy

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 6 May 2013 , 3:31am
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylee61 

Ah, thank you! So if I get regular confectioners sugar, should I sift it more?
Nancy

I'm unsure as to the answer of your question but I make & use Nick L. paste all the time.  I've used 10X and 6X.  I will NOT use the 6x again - it's just not as smooth.

The recipe I have uses grams so I am unfamiliar with the posted measurements. I prefer a soft paste to begin with so I add 2 gm.  more egg white.  If I am doing something that needs to be stiffer I add more tylose as I need it. 

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 May 2013 , 4:35am
post #19 of 43

I,ve used Nicks g/p for about 18 yrs. I make it just as the recipe calls for. I love to work with it. I love how it dries. I love wiltons premade (not the can) very much too. Somes i mix the two when i am teaching a day of sharing . Every one likes that also. hth

justinaud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justinaud Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 8:15am
post #20 of 43

How Long do this recipe keep for, considering It has egg white in in ?

costumeczar Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 10:37am
post #21 of 43

A[I] [/I]

Original message sent by justinaud

How Long do this recipe keep for, considering It has egg white in in ?

You keep it in the fridge when you're not using it. It lasts a long time, but you can also store it in the freezer if you won't be using it for a while.

There are two Nic Lodge recipes, too. The one that I used in culinary school works better than the one on Craftsy and it doesn't dry as chalky. The Craftsy one is more like a pastillage. I wrote an article about gumpaste yesterday on my blog with the different recipes that includes both NL recipes, here's the link: http://www.acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2013/10/gumpaste-recipes.html

JWinslow Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 12:58pm
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

You keep it in the fridge when you're not using it. It lasts a long time, but you can also store it in the freezer if you won't be using it for a while.

There are two Nic Lodge recipes, too. The one that I used in culinary school works better than the one on Craftsy and it doesn't dry as chalky. The Craftsy one is more like a pastillage. I wrote an article about gumpaste yesterday on my blog with the different recipes that includes both NL recipes, here's the link: http://www.acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2013/10/gumpaste-recipes.html

Thanks for the NL recipe.  I will definitely have to try the culinary school version.  The Craftsy version lasts a long time in the fridge/freezer but it is on the stiff side.  Love you blog! 

justinaud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justinaud Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 11:09am
post #23 of 43

thank you Jwinslow, but now I have another problem, i made the gumpaste following Nicolas lodge's recipe, I let it rest for 24 hours and when i decided to use it, it was crumbly and dry, i added some shortening and it became too sticky, I added corn starch and it was too dry, I could now roll it with out it, it kept sticking to the board how can I fix this, I have meringue powder can I add that to the recipie, i dont know what went wrong and it there any way i cant avoid this?

costumeczar Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 12:49pm
post #24 of 43

A

Original message sent by justinaud

thank you Jwinslow, but now I have another problem, i made the gumpaste following Nicolas lodge's recipe, I let it rest for 24 hours and when i decided to use it, it was crumbly and dry, i added some shortening and it became too sticky, I added corn starch and it was too dry, I could now roll it with out it, it kept sticking to the board how can I fix this, I have meringue powder can I add that to the recipie, i dont know what went wrong and it there any way i cant avoid this?

Try the recipe from my blog post that has gelatin in it. The one on Craftsy is more of a pastillage recipe, which is more brittle and dry.

The funny thing is that I was watching another craftsy class, and someone asked the instructor about the difference between sugarpaste and flowerpaste. She said that there was this, that and the other, and then there was pastillage, which was dry and you definitely wouldn't want to make flowers out of it.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 12:58pm
post #25 of 43

AThanks for sharing that 2nd Nicholas Lodge recipe. Have you ever subbed tylose for the gum tragacanth?

JWinslow Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 12:58pm
post #26 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinaud 

My first try batch wasn't too great.  I discovered that having the mixture at a soft peak stage before adding the tylose is essential.  I over mixed mine.  Not being able to feel your paste, hard to say what to do.  I have added fondant to soften but not to a whole batch, just for what I'm working on.  I'm sorry this didn't work .  Maybe others will jump in here but I wouldn't add meringue powder.

JWinslow Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 1:09pm
post #27 of 43

Justinaud,  I am also going to try the recipe on Costumeczar's blog.  I also ordered some from her Etsy shop.  I prefer using Platinum paste for flower petals and am hoping the blog recipe is fairly close to it.

costumeczar Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 3:24pm
post #28 of 43

In the meantime, when you make it, if you know it was too dry, add more water to it, a little at a time, until it's a texture that you like. You can adjust the amounts of ingredients to make it act the way that you want to, there's no reason why you need to stick to an exact recipe.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 4:02pm
post #29 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by vgcea 

Thanks for sharing that 2nd Nicholas Lodge recipe. Have you ever subbed tylose for the gum tragacanth?

I'd like to know the answer to this also. I'm about to make a batch, but gum trag is brown and makes for an ugly color in the end. Can we sub the tylose? (I made Mexican paste for some new patchwork cutters, but the gum trag made it the most unappetizing color!

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 6:32pm
post #30 of 43

Bumping this one back up because I'd like to know the answer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%