I Am Looking For

Decorating By lindsey123 Updated 25 May 2012 , 4:24am by ReneeFLL

lindsey123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsey123 Posted 13 May 2012 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Could anyone tell me if there is a web site or anyone on here that sells edible hand painted butterflies. please

4 replies
ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 13 May 2012 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 5

I think that you can find them on ebay or etsy but I dont know how good they are. Also, I would check a major cake supplier like Global Sugar Art or some other one first. Leah_S posted recently about the place where she had bought them. Check her recent posts and you will find it. Sorry but I dont remember the name.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 May 2012 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 5

I have purchased butterflies on wafer paper from a place that is banned from any mention here on Cake Central. I can only tell you it's pink and near Cincinnati. That should be enough to find it thru Google.

If you have anyone near you with an edible printer set up, you can download pictures of butterflies, make a master sheet on regular paper and get them to print it out from the edible printer. Cut them out with small sharp scissors and put a thin (and I mean thin) smear of gel of them. I've even been known to sprinkle a little edible glitter on the wings.

Barring that, you can buy gumpaste butterfly "blanks" (all white) and decorate them yourself from www.avalondeco.com (The same place I rec for gumpaste flowers.)

Another somewhat different and possibly nutso option is the battery powered butterflies from battery powered candles website. I used on of those on a cake once and it startled the crap out of people. You have to hide the battery, so a fake tier on top is great. The butterfly, which looks amazingly real will fold its wings every so often. Extremely realistic.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 25 May 2012 , 4:24am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I have purchased butterflies on wafer paper from a place that is banned from any mention here on Cake Central. I can only tell you it's pink and near Cincinnati. That should be enough to find it thru Google.

If you have anyone near you with an edible printer set up, you can download pictures of butterflies, make a master sheet on regular paper and get them to print it out from the edible printer. Cut them out with small sharp scissors and put a thin (and I mean thin) smear of gel of them. I've even been known to sprinkle a little edible glitter on the wings.

Barring that, you can buy gumpaste butterfly "blanks" (all white) and decorate them yourself from www.avalondeco.com (The same place I rec for gumpaste flowers.)

Another somewhat different and possibly nutso option is the battery powered butterflies from battery powered candles website. I used on of those on a cake once and it startled the crap out of people. You have to hide the battery, so a fake tier on top is great. The butterfly, which looks amazingly real will fold its wings every so often. Extremely realistic.

Leah_s
Do you know what the butterflies are made of? I can't find it anywhere. I was wondering if I bought the white one could I brush it with luster dusrt to add some different colors?
TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%