What's The Best Doctored Vanilla Cake Mix Recipe Out There??

Baking By monosylabicgirl Updated 2 Sep 2017 , 5:43pm by kakeladi

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 10:41am
post #31 of 55

I'm going to give the dissenting opinion here about WASC and cupcakes.  I really don't like it for cupcakes, and I have posted about this before.  The texture is completely different when made into cupcakes, so I think it works better for cakes.  If I'm doing free cupcakes, I'll just do the recipe straight from the box, and cut the water down a bit so the cupcakes are denser.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 11:47am
post #32 of 55

I agree about the cupcakes, they come out super dense and are not the same as the cake at all.

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 3:08am
post #33 of 55

For those of you who do like it for cupcakes, could you please advise as to how long they should bake for and at what temperature? 

Thanks!

MissJoyous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJoyous Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 5:29am
post #34 of 55

I'm excited to use the WASC 'original' for my cupcakes !~ dense wedding cake is kinda what I'm going for for cupcakes. I've been reading a ton on here... don't know what the extender recipe is but I think the WASC is the one I'm going to try in all sorts of variations.

Thank you everyone for the input & insight.

prittinellz33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prittinellz33 Posted 30 May 2014 , 10:44pm
post #35 of 55

AMade this cake and it was delicious.... I have made this my official vanilla cake recipe from here on out..THANKS

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 31 May 2014 , 2:12am
post #36 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

I'm going to give the dissenting opinion here about WASC and cupcakes.  I really don't like it for cupcakes, and I have posted about this before.  The texture is completely different when made into cupcakes, so I think it works better for cakes.  If I'm doing free cupcakes, I'll just do the recipe straight from the box, and cut the water down a bit so the cupcakes are denser.

agreed, it's not great for cupcakes.  Hadn't thought about cutting down the water, sounds right though.  I'll try that myself.

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 4:19am
post #37 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by All4Show 

I'm sorry. Could you clarify the measurement on the vinegar. Is it 2 to 1/2 tsp. or 2 1/2 tsp. ? I'm not sure what that notation is.

I'm curious about this too. Any comments?

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 5:42pm
post #38 of 55

A2 1/2 tsp

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 5:44pm
post #39 of 55

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbyT 

I was just wondering, now that the cake mixes are smaller in size, 16.25 oz for DH and 15.25 for BC, are you using the the mixes for the WASC recipe as is or are you adding more mix to make it 18.25 oz.?  Same question for the other recipe as well.

You can use the same quantity for the ingredients for any size box.

ceeselena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceeselena Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 4:57am
post #40 of 55

@BooperBaker So I'm wondering if the recipe changed any due to the fact that the boxes are three ounces smaller now?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 2:52pm
post #41 of 55

ceecelena asked:..........wondering if the recipe changed any due to the fact that the boxes are three ounces smaller now?  .....................

No, my *original* WASC recipe does not change when using the smaller size boxes of mix.   

ceeselena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceeselena Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 5:52pm
post #42 of 55

No, I meant BooperBaker's recipe. With the apple cider vinegar, etc. Do you know if any of the quantities change since the box is three ounces smaller for her recipe?

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 1:44am
post #43 of 55

I wondered the same

LaurenLocke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLocke Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 10:14pm
post #44 of 55

I am new to baking cakes. I typically do cookies, cake pops, etc.  I was asked by a friend to do a rustic birch  buttercream wedding cake. I was going to try @BooperBaker78 ‍  recipe and was wondering how long to cook the cake for and how much batter to put in each pan.  I'm using 2 8" pans and 2 10 " pans.  I'm already stressed about trying to do this birch effect and don't want to have an under cooked cake or a dried out one.  Does anyone have a thought on this?

Thank you!

-Lauren

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 12:20am
post #45 of 55

I am a kakeladi WASC girl, all the way.

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 2:17am
post #46 of 55

I'm always up for  trying new recipes but I do love @kakeladi ‍ WASC

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 1 Sep 2017 , 3:46pm
post #47 of 55

I used to love the WASC recipe.....BEFORE they changed cake mix formulas.... No matter what I do the cake still has big tunnels and holes in it. I've tried adding enough flour to equal the 18.25 oz the mixes used to be, I've tried mixing differently and less time, I'm about to give up. I've heard Jay Qualls say you'll never be consistent or make any money UNLESS you use a mix. I cannot find out what mixes they use, and how they Doctor it up. I don't want to order 50 lbs of mix not knowing which brands would be better. I'm assuming the professional mixes are better than grocery store formulas? I've always baked from scratch except when I used the WASC . but it is so expensive! I grieve over the old WASC recipe.... Any advice ?? 

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Sep 2017 , 6:04pm
post #48 of 55

@MamaGeese ‍, maybe I have just been lucky, but I've never had a cake with holes and tunnels.  I have made the original WASC recipe with the new size mixes and had no problems.  If I want a slightly sturdier cake, I add 1/2 additional cup of cake mix to equal the size of the original boxes.  Good results either way.  

Not to sound condescending, but do you gently stir your batter after putting it in the pans to help release air bubbles and/or drop the pans of batter on the counter from about 4", again to release trapped air bubbles?  I do both.

MamaGeese Posted 1 Sep 2017 , 7:57pm
post #49 of 55

Oh you're not being condescending at all....I do both as well, but maybe not as much as I should. Can you tell me your mixing speed and time, also oven temp for layers. Thanks.

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Sep 2017 , 8:46pm
post #50 of 55

I can give it my best guess, haha.  I cream the butter and sugar until it is completely blended and sort of fluffy on slow (# 1 speed) for about one minute, then turn it up to about # 3 for another minute or two.  I mix everything else together on # 1 until all the eggs are incorporated, then mix on medium, about # 3 or # 4 (never checked) for about one to two minutes, just until all the lumps have disappeared.  I try to do as little mixing as possible on the lowest speed that works, but be sure it is well mixed.  

I bake at either 325 or 350 degrees F., depending upon the type cake and the size of my pans.  I hate baking a large layer, 10" or larger, at a low temp.  Takes too long and I have little patience.

After putting the batter in the pans, I sort of stir around with a spoon three or four times across from different directions, then drop the pans on the counter about 4 to 6 times before putting them in the oven.  I do always use baking strips on my pans.

Don't know that it would make a difference, but I always use either Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker or Pillsbury mixes.

kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2017 , 8:46pm
post #51 of 55

Like Sandra, I don't ever remember having such problems - tunnels and holes.  The only thing I can think of is that you are beating it too hard/fast.   I used a Kitchen Aid mixer most of the time - to 'stir' on #1; to 'mix' on #3 or 4 - never more.  If you look at the replies to the *original* recipe post almost at the bottom I mention where I recently (a few months ago) make 2 or 3 batters and used a hand-held mixer for 1; a wire whisk for another batch and both turned out just fine. 

MamaGeese Posted 1 Sep 2017 , 8:58pm
post #52 of 55

Sandra, I noticed you said creamed the butter first, the WASC recipe I have uses just a small amount of oil. Did I miss something here? I just put some cupcakes in the oven using Kakeladi's recipe.....tried gently mixing for less time and rapping pan on counter, then ran a toothpick through to break up any bubbles... I usually do everything from scratch in my business, (cottage business) but when someone just wants a dozen quick cupcakes, then this recipe would be a life saver. Thanks girls.....always so helpful!

kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2017 , 10:29pm
post #53 of 55

My *original* WASC recipe does NOT use any oil or butter.

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Sep 2017 , 12:16am
post #54 of 55

All of this time, I've thought my recipe was the same as kakeladi's, but mine does have butter.  So sorry!  Here it is:

1 Cake Mix, plus 1/2 cup from a second mix for a firmer cake, 1 cup All-Purpose Flour, 1 cup Granulated Sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sift together dry ingredients.

1 sticks unsalted Butter, soften slightly (room temp, but not mushy), 3 whole Eggs, 1 cup Sour Cream, 1-1/2 cup water (or substitute juice for part of the water, if desired), 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract, 1 teaspoon Almond Extract.

For this recipe, I bake at 340 degrees F. 

kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2017 , 5:43pm
post #55 of 55

Here is the link to the *original* WASC recipe:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe     It is very helpful to review ALL the replies as there is a wealth of information containe there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%