Cake Pops "melted"!!

Decorating By samy1234 Updated 12 May 2012 , 10:12pm by samy1234

samy1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samy1234 Posted 9 May 2012 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 5

Hey Guys!

I have yet another issue! I made cake pops with the cake crumbs and whipped cream+ganache combo....
the balls rolled out fine, chilled them
and then used wilton candy melts - microwaved them but they were still thick (made a v thick coat) so i added some shortening - melted it a bit and then went on with my coating business!

i left some to dry on the table (under a fan) and put some in the fridge.....when i came back after half an hr - the ones outside had fallen of the stick - all cake mess on the table! and the ones in the fridge were nice n firm

however, when i left one outside for an hr to try it - tht one too melted! so the candy melts didnt hold the crisp outer shell - Im glad i tried this out now coz i cannot make THIS and leave it on a buffet table even an hr before guests come - they will get cake poop instead or cake pops!!!

Pls give me suggestions - whatever u have!

thanks

4 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 9 May 2012 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 5

OK - where did you leave them? Were they under a light or in the light coming in from a window? I left some candy on the front seat of my car IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER IN NY for about 1/2 hour. I had mush. The temperature can't overcome the light. I know - doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's how it works.

It also sounds like you may have used a tad too much shortening so your candy melts may not set up well.

HTH

Foolhardyheroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foolhardyheroes Posted 9 May 2012 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 5

My bet would be on the shortening. I dunno if this was your first attempt at cake pops or not... But for me it was a LOT of trial and error at first! My suggestion would be to ditch the shortening all together and invest in either a candy warmer (sold at walmart for 20 i believe, or better yet if u have a biglots they sell these tiny crock pots for 6 bucks which is what I use! Goodluck!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 May 2012 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 5

How much shortening did you use?

samy1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samy1234 Posted 12 May 2012 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 5

Hmmmm
As embarassed as i am, i do not have a qty of the shortening!!! I just added it according to how thin it looked!!!!

S tht cud be my mistake. It was not left under the light or under sunlight so thts not the issue. I. Dont have a candy warmerbut maybe i cud use the double boiler option for trial purpose!!!! Wont invest in anything related solely to cake pops becoz it was indeed my first attempt and i didnt enjoy looking at the mushy mess!!! Lol

Thnx guys

Will try it out!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%