Yikes...hlep Me Please!!

Decorating By stephdover4 Updated 10 May 2012 , 8:13am by myxstorie

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 9 May 2012 , 2:24am
post #1 of 4

I made a butterscotch buttercream for a caramel cake The buttercream is greasy looking and I'm afraid it will look awful on the cake. Can I put fondant on top of it? Will the grease come thru the fondant and look terrible? HELP!! Its for my daughters favorite teacher (ever) so I want it to look fantastic when she gives it to her.

3 replies
myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 9 May 2012 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 4

Is there actually grease pooling on the buttercream, or does it just look shiny and kind of greasy?

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 9 May 2012 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 4

it just looks shiny and greasy..no pooling at all though. I used Hershey butterscotch chips, and good quality cream for it. Its on the cake now and looks like it will be fine but last night I was really worried that it would not work well. I have never used the recipe before (it was on here and had good rating).

myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 10 May 2012 , 8:13am
post #4 of 4

I think it should be fine icon_smile.gif I was piping grass with my normal buttercream last night, but I was using a cheap fabric bag and grease was just coming out of the seams and getting all over my hands. But the buttercream was absolutely fine, stood up as well as I'd expected and tasted just the same as always. If it happens again and you're still worried, you could always add more PS to take the edge off it. It's going to look greasy until it gets to a certain point, because the butter in itself is a kind of 'grease'. I would assume it uses less PS than a regular buttercream because you've got the butterscotch chips in there too, which will take away some of the heavy, buttery taste, so that COULD be why it looks greasier than a regular buttercream? All speculation of course, but it seems logical icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%