Large Graduation Cake

Decorating By Mitzzi23 Updated 9 May 2012 , 11:28am by Mitzzi23

Mitzzi23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mitzzi23 Posted 9 May 2012 , 12:24am
post #1 of 3

New here. I recently started a little business doing mainly cupcakes. I have booked two graduation cakes. Each cake will need to serve appx. 100 people. To do a sheet cake for that would I just use 2 12"x18" sheet cake pans put together? Is that big enough? Is the Wilton Decorator Preferred a good pan? Should I use the flower nail trick to cut down on doming? I was going to charge $75. Any other helpful hints? I looked for a sticky for all the answers but didn't see anything. Sorry for so many questions, and TIA!

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 May 2012 , 2:55am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzzi23

To do a sheet cake for that would I just use 2 12"x18" sheet cake pans put together? Is that big enough? Is the Wilton Decorator Preferred a good pan? Should I use the flower nail trick to cut down on doming?

Yes, you could use two 12x18s if a true commercial full sheet doesn't fit in your oven. They serve 54 each, so 108 servings will be enough.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzzi23

I was going to charge $75.

I don't know where you live, but I haven't heard of pricing below .75 per serving EVER.

(Seriously, I don't think I'd be selling cakes yet if I didn't own the pan, didn't know how to use it, and didn't know what to charge. You might consider writing a business plan.)

Mitzzi23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mitzzi23 Posted 9 May 2012 , 11:28am
post #3 of 3

Thank you! I am going to call local places, and after looking around online last night found that I should probably charge more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%