Satin Ice Pastel Colors...anybody Used Them?

Decorating By AmyPi3 Updated 9 May 2012 , 12:33am by DianeLM

AmyPi3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyPi3 Posted 8 May 2012 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I have been looking for a very soft yellow and celery green fondant for my wedding cake. I have only been able to find pastel colors by Satin Ice but was wondering if there are other options or if anyone has seen their pastels.

I definitely don't want to end up with something too bright but any suggestions if I do (on how to work with what I buy and lighten it)?

Also, note that the fondant brand I use does not have to taste good, just have good workability as I am putting it on cake dummies.

Thanks for your help.

3 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 May 2012 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 4

I would buy the Satin Ice non-pastel colors and then mix them with white to get the shade you desire. If you get the pastel it might be too light already (I haven't purchased those ones) and you can use the rest of the bright colors later.

AmyPi3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyPi3 Posted 8 May 2012 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 4

I won't have enough left over to ever use again for anything and I really want something very light...I have some white that I guess I will add if it's too bright and I have also read about Americolor Bright White but am not sure how it would mix with a precolored fondant ?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 May 2012 , 12:33am
post #4 of 4

If you want very light, then start with white and add just the tiniest bit of colored fondant. You don't have to buy pre-colored, you can do this yourself.

Color a small ball of white fondant with your preferred green color. The ball should should be darker than the desired finished product. The darker this ball of fondant, the less you'll need. Let it set overnight so the color deepens.

Measure out a blob of white fondant - maybe 1/2 lb. Measure a small amouont of the green fondant - start with 1/4 tsp or less, depending on how dark you make it in the first place. Mix together. Add white or green as necessary to get the desired color, but MEASURE how much of each you use. Now, you can make all your fondant the same color by mixing X teaspoons of green into X pounds of white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%