How O I Make A Truck Cake?

Decorating By patty7276 Updated 9 May 2012 , 6:40pm by patty7276

patty7276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty7276 Posted 7 May 2012 , 2:58am
post #1 of 5

Can anyone share tips, instructions on making a truck cake? Making a uhaul truck ,have never done one. Am wondering specifically about how to do the wheels and the cab.
Thanks.

4 replies
WilmaFlint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WilmaFlint Posted 8 May 2012 , 2:01am
post #2 of 5

I have made a few automobile cakes in recent years. Hubby cuts a thin board and i purchase wooden tires from woodcraft dept at Hobby Lobby. I put a dowel rod through the holes and wrap the board in board paper & glue the dowels to the bottom of the board with wood glue. I cover the wheels with black fondant and build & carve the cake. I just make sure recipient knows the tires are not edible.
If possible, i get pics straight from the front, back & sides & print them out on large paper(i work @ a print shop) and cut out each piece & use this for my template to ge the shape right.I use buttercream, not fondat for my main cake coating.
Here is a link to the cars & truck cake pics I have made.
http://media4bm5.onlineview.it/GalleryThumbnails.aspx?gallery=504340
Hope this helps!

patty7276 Posted 8 May 2012 , 2:19am
post #3 of 5

Thank you, Wilma,

Love your photos! So do you carve an arch in the cake for the wheels to fit into? (that probably made no sense). Am trying to make a uhaul truck, don't have a model to work from but the shape isn't too complicated.
Thanks again.
Patty

WilmaFlint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WilmaFlint Posted 8 May 2012 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you!
Yes i do cut a notch for the wheels. i usually use a round cookie cutter a tad bigger than the wheels to mark where i will cut.

patty7276 Posted 9 May 2012 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%